Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newby With Many Questions

Rate this question

SamNezzer

Question

I posted this somewhere else and am not sure about all the jargon, or initials or really how to get around this site yet, and I can't sit at the computer too long, my back hurts and feet go numb (literally).

I don't want to post a ton of information if this is not where I need to be, so let me sum up:

I enlisted 12/6/1994 and was medically discharged 12/12/1995 with a 10% disability and given a lump sum of $2,112 for Bilateral Plantar Facitis. I Filed a claim upon leaving the military (as I was told) moved to California and assigned the American Legion reps to handle my stuff. On 4/16/1997 I was denied all other claims (I submitted 10 in all) except Anemia and given 0% for that and my original disability was dropped to 0% as well. I appealed and received a letter on 9/30/1997 to submit another form 21-526 which I had originally used in the first place on 11/24/1995 and 8/26/1996. I have no records or recolection after that and basically gave up because I didn't have new information and my marriage was going sour. I never heard back from the American Legion (they weren't very helpful to begin with). Nearly 10 years later, I am having some serious nerve damage in my neck which shows up in my arms as loss of sensation (one of my original claims that was denied). I've discovered that I have osteo arthritis in my neck and many of the 10 things I originally claimed are connected symptoms. I also claimed chronic UTI's and recently had to have a sling placed over my bladder for this issue in November of 2004. My grandfather, Conrad Holsomback, told me about this site and to reopen my claim. I know this isn't short, but my main questions are:

1-How can they reduce a % that was the cause to kick me out of the military and I was told is not reversable? I have to pay a higher co-pay if I am less that 10%.

2-Is there anyway to get my claim retroactive or do I really have to start all over?

3-How can they start paying from the date the claim is filed, yet when they dropped my % they made it retroactive to the day I was discharged?

4-In their denial letter, the findings state that certain test results "were not available for review and will be requested for consideration"; "the VA exam noted this condition by history only"; "this condition was not noted on the VA exam"; reports three episodes during April, July and September 1995, but "there is no evidence of chronic condition" and finally with my current issues "the diagnosis showed a history of symptomatic paresthesias with prolonged use of the hands"

How is that any basis for an answer and how can I appeal this now, nearly 9 years later?

I really need help and am furious that I didn't stick this out before, but I was nearly 22 and had other issues to deal with. I still have issues, but this is now a persistent problem and I am so frustrated that they treat people like this when they are unknowing of how to "use" the system.

I didn't pursue it because I didn't have any new evidence and they didn't use the evidence they got or search for the problem that related to the symptom.

I claimed for a heart murmur they found while in; chronic UTI's that still persist enough to have had surgery 11/2004; chronic ear infections; chest pains (I think these are related to my current problem); allergies (these are a big time problem now); nerve damage in my Left wrist (major issue); a misscarriage; and rashes (still persistent). I mentioned above they were all denied but the original feet thing (although it was decreased) and Anemia. Now I think many are symptamatic to my neck and I have blood tests that say I have rhumatoid arthritis as well, but I am not sure where, as I have knee (previous condition from prior military) and wrist issues. I am currently in a lot of pain and loosing my mobility and dealing with other things.

I am mostly angry and how I was dooped with my original claim and want to see if they can really get away with that and just grant me what they grant me from this point forward or if the insufficient information they provided can be cause for a mis- something on their part and make my claims retroactive to 12/13/1995.

PLEASE HELP DIRECT ME

I am going to the VA clinic tomorrow to get re-registered and see if I can get in for my "non-service connnected" ailments.

THANK YOU

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sam

When and if you claim ever gets to a DRO or the BVA the documentation in your VA medical records can make or break a claim. Keep going to the VAMC and keep complaining about your medical problems. Document all the negative side effects from medications for all your service-connected conditions.

jstacy: I thought we had a location that had all the abreviations, but I am at the present time, unable to find it for you, so I will give you a few to get you started.

VARO------------Veterans Affairs Regional Office or VA Regional Office

SC---------------Service Connection

BVA--------------Board of Veteran Appeals

COVA------------Court of Veteran Affairs

IMO--------------Independent Medical Evidence

USCAVC---------United State Court of Veteran Claims or Appeals

RO----------------Regional Office

SO----------------Service Officer

DOD--------------Department of Defense

A&A--------------Aid and Attendance

SMC--------------Special Monthly Compensation

AO----------------Agent Orange

C&P exam-------Compensation and Pension Exam

Of course their is a lot more, but I have a bit of a foggy brain at the moment, other could add to this or may know if and where we may have a more complete list.

Jim S. ;)

Edited by Jim S.

jstacy: I thought we had a location that had all the abreviations, but I am at the present time, unable to find it for you, so I will give you a few to get you started.

VARO------------Veterans Affairs Regional Office or VA Regional Office

SC---------------Service Connection

BVA--------------Board of Veteran Appeals

COVA------------Court of Veteran Affairs

IMO--------------Independent Medical Evidence

USCAVC---------United State Court of Veteran Claims or Appeals

RO----------------Regional Office

SO----------------Service Officer

DOD--------------Department of Defense

A&A--------------Aid and Attendance

SMC--------------Special Monthly Compensation

AO----------------Agent Orange

C&P exam-------Compensation and Pension Exam

Of course their is a lot more, but I have a bit of a foggy brain at the moment, other could add to this or may know if and where we may have a more complete list.

Jim S. ;)

More terms from this Link: http://www.hadit.com/glossary.htm

Railroader

Thanks Railroader, I new thier was a sight, but the fog on my brain was looking under Abreviation and not under a Glossery of term and abreviations. ;) B) :lol:

Jim S. :P

Guest VetWife Advocate
Thanks again!

About the blood work, I'm not sure. It's been nearly 10 years and I have no clue, but I found a box in the garage of my medical records and such from the time I was fighting them and I requested a copy of my claim yesterday, so depending on how long they take to respond, hopefully I can soon fill in the pieces. I also got through to the DAV today and got great information. I am going to the ER on Sunday (I like that doctor and his office is 35 miles from me, or I can see him on Sunday's at ER), anyway, the DAV told me to bring him my records pertaining to the other denied issues I am dealing with in my neck and head and have him write in my chart that those symptoms are directly connected to the issue I am having now. I am going to have to see another doctor at a real appointment after this, but I know this guy and would rather have him write it in, and then see a new guy, then trust that a new doctor is going to do what I ask. I am still debating about seeing the VA even about the 0% issues because the DVA said they won't make any statements in my favor, but I was thinking that if I could get them to take X-rays of my feet and do blood work, that they can't lie about those facts (am I naive or what)?!

Thanks again

I am not sure how to add information to my profile, or what some of those things mean (warn?), but my email is SamNezzer@adelphia.net

SAM,

I can only tell you, it really is best, IMHO, if you have outside insurance USE IT!! Find a good doctor with a good referral network. ..VA kept sending Joe to get Xrays of his back/knees, WELL, they did not show the real picture!!! I insisted he have an MRI of Both knees. Yep told a lot more!!! jOE"NEW DOC SAID, wHAT CAN i HELP YOU WITH THAT IS NOT IN YOUR FILE? bASICALLY YOU TOLD ME THAT...nEW TO SYSTEM AND ANOTHER ONE IN THE MAKING THAT DOES NOT GET OR CARE TO GET IT!!!

We have not found the VA Docs coopereative at all. In fact, One doc said after askiing him to review ...said, "not in my job desciribtion, C&P, not mine!! Very sarcastically. Did not need that Doc treating Joe, got a new one!!! aSK ANOTHER ABOUT HIS KNees, "intern" went and got his supervisor and spv said, "you are asking us to commit fraud!!" Yep, reported her office to Patient Rep, Head of Med SrVs!!!

If you have OUtside insurance USE IT!! I just had another VNVet tell us that again!! We DO NOT TRUST THE VA SYSTEM. Right hand VAMC does not know? what the left is doing and DOES NOT CARE!!!

WE just got Joe CFile before his rating came. Joe gets depressed reading it!! HE WAS SO SCREWED OVER BY THE VARO AND ALL OF HIS SERVICE OFFICERS!!!CUE, Clerical error? Failure to adjudicate properly ALL OVER!! SAD SAD SHAMEFUL SHAMEFUL SHAMEFUL!!! Staring to work it again has made my Secondary PTSD, and its like BAR THE DOOR!! IAM PISSED!!

tREATMENT--gO ELSEWHERE, ptsd TREATMENT IS A JOKE. jOE IS SO FULL OF GRIEF!! tHEY SEND THEM TO gRIEF COUNSELING BUT THEY COME BACK, THE COUNSELORS AND DON'T TEACH OR USE IT ON THE vETS.

aNGRY, hell yes!!!

Berta!!! In reviewing Joe's file....the Vet Center said they could not find his files... aztHEY WERE IN IN his C file...

THEY