VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

How does a Vet become determined to be Incompetent to Conduct His Financial Affairs??

This is no joke. All replies will be appreciated.

Regards

Edited by Old 5311

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

GOOD question-

I have seen VA try to determine Incompetence in cases where there is a lot of retro and the veteran has a severe mental disability-

In many cases they are protecting the vet-

My manic depressive vet friend would have spent his retro (over $100,000) by week's end if they didnt declare him incompetent-as this is a symptom of his disorder. He was glad they did this.

Another friend of mine got his 50% PTSD retro of $8,000 and spent that in 2 weeks-and now is in debt over the fancy car the retro gave him a down payment for- the VA says he is competent.

The VA said my husband, with 100% PTSD and significant brain damage in 6-7 places -was competent- it took a Neuro doc seconds to say that- guess he gave the right answer? He told this doc I handled all the money.

But SSA said due to his PTSD (and the brain damage) he was not.

SSA and the VA both give you a chance to fight 'incompetency'-my husband liked it. It sure stopped the phone calls from solicitors when he answered and said he had PTSD, significant brain damage and he also was incompetent.

And It sure does not mean some distant cousin can try to claim your possessions- it just means- well- it is just crapola but in some cases the veteran is better off when a spouse handles their comp.

Here is the VA's way of dealing with it:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:8PHgc...k&cd=4&ie=UTF-8

What bothers me about this M21-1 stuff is that it does not tell how incompetency is determined or by who????? Guess they go by your answer when the C & P exam involves the doc stating whether you can handle your own money.

Edited by Berta