VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bronze Star Question For Ptsd

Rate this question

dtclou

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

even with the medals the VA still wants stressor letters and many Bronze stars were passed out in Desert Storm without the V device for Valor, there were far to many Bronze stars given out to people for just doing their normal jobs, even PH vets still have to write the stressor letters, there are no way around them. Just being in a combat zone is not enough any more they want to know what incident is the stressor causing his PTSD, a SCUD attack, a chemical attack, being caught in a friendly fire free for all etc, with the major look at PTSD claims going on right now, I don;t think anyone can get away without writing the stressor letters except maybe POW's.

• HadIt.com Elder

To dtclou:

The VARO is VERY, VERY tough on a having stressor letter/statement on file.

My PTSD was approved .. in theory but NOT on paper .. until I personally met with my state POA and VARO manager and signed a stressor statement/letter.

Then my PTSD claim was basically completed on the spot and I was notified the next day (via phone) that the 100% PTSD rating was awarded and would be added to my other disabilities.

Back then .. I was so out of it when it came to VARO paperwork ... that I did not even know that my claim was hung up .. because a stressor statement/letter was not on file.

Also .. IF .. a veteran did happen to mistakenly get a PTSD award without a stressor letter ... I think that would possibly open him or her up to an audit and possible problems later .. maybe even the VA calling a CUE on themselves ???

That "Stressor Letter" is a absolutely necessary and it MUST be verifiable too.

Good luck and maybe your VARO will make the "stressor statement/letter situation" as easy on him as mine did on me ???

... Magoo .. aka ..Bill ... ;)

PS ... All the medals in the world won't take the place of a "verifiable stressor statement/letter" either.

I guess .. technically .. a veteran could even have a CMOH and not PTSD ... very unlikely ... but possible.

Edited by Magoo_Mr.

Guest Namvet6567

As for the Southwest Asia Service Medal w/bronze star - I believe the bronze star merely represents a second award of this medal, which doesn't carry the same weight as the Bronze Star Medal. As for the stressor letter - they are looking for dates of actions/events that are verifiable as a stressor event(s). This need not be lengthy but should be somewhat descriptive, so as to help verification.

Bronze Star Medal- Merit or Valor-

for heroism or meritorious achievement

This denotes combat (per NVLSP) however- the actual citation itself would reveal it as a stressor----perhaps---

Flip is correct that small bronze stars on the Vietnam Service Medal Robbon- denote successive campaigns.

Even with proof of combat ops , a vet still needs to describe the stressors and do their best as to date and place of event.

If it involves the death of a close incountry buddy, obviously the vet knows the guys unit and MOS ,the circumstances,and approximate date of his death and his hometown and can download and print his name off from the Wall on line, as proof of stressor.

Guest Namvet6567

Berta, I think she was referring to the Southwest Asia Service Medal (Desert Storm, etc.) and there are service stars. However, you are correct on the VSM. Claimants get hung up on the stressor letter and unless there has been a change, it is not "required." Those with appropriate awards don't need them unless there is contrary information, to their awards. I've a combat engineer who doesn't remember his company - only remembers he was w/8th Engineers. CIB w/2 PH's.