Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Make A Claim For Infertility

Rate this question

Jak

Question

Hi folks. I have an appointment with a VSO on March 17th and am trying to gather information and as much data as I can about claims. I am, however, stuck on a situation with how to proceed with proof and case for infertility.

Here's some background on me with this: I served in the army for 7 years. (1990-1997) Throughout this time, I had episodes of irregular bleeding. For instance, following a "Post run" (every unit participated in this), I had a situation where I had severe cramping w/bad back pain and was bleeding. Being newly married, I thought I was having a miscarriage. I was driven to the medical facility where they tested me for pregnancy and when my lab results returned negative, I was diagnosed with possible "pelvic inflammatory disease" or UTI. Which, by the way, was extremely insulting to me since my husband (whom I am still married to) was my 3rd and final partner so I don't or didn't consider myself to be a promiscuous woman.

So the above is an example of what happened to me the entire time of my service until the end when I finally requested to be seen by OB/GYN for possible infertility. Keep in mind that, well, I don't know a woman that would "request" this type of examination unless there were concerns. Anyhow, at my examination, once I mentioned that I had concerns considering my husband and I weren't taking precautions to prevent pregnancies that I wasn't sure if I could have children. The captain basically dismissed my concerns by telling me that my reproductive organs were all in tact. That was the end of that.

In 2002, I finally was referred to an infertility doctor and after having a hysteroscopy, tubal ligation and finally laparoscopy diagnosed me with severe endometriosis with lysis of adhesion on my right fallopian tube and adhesion of my left fallopian tube to my left ovary. My doctor then put me on depo lupron to cease six months of my cycle in hope that by giving my body a break that it would heal itself. The lupron didn't work and we discussed IVF as the only way I could conceive. I was 33 at the time. The process of diagnosis pretty much emptied my bank account. I'm sharing this information with you so that you'll understand that money was the only reason of delaying my IVF attempt.

It took me three years to save the money for the IVF treatment and costs. From 1997 to 2005, I went experienced anger, disapointment, guilt, basically, in general just a ticked off woman. I don't know if I have a claim for this. I don't know if it's even fair for me to say that had the military diagnosed me correctly, that my symptoms would've been treated and I would've been a mom at a much younger age. In 2006, my twin sons were born but at the expense of all aspects of my life. I've been told that children conceived thru IVF may also be infertile due to the forced process so, my sons may never have children. Or at least I won't know until they start trying. Imagine the mental and physical pain I went thru to have my sons and now add guilt on top of all of it.

What do you guys think? Do I have a claim? Do I stand a chance? Thank you for reading this. I look forward to your suggestions, comments and any advice you may have. BTW, I do have all of my records of "irregular bleeding" in my service record as well as all surgery and files from my infertility doctor. I apologize if I've posted in the wrong board.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'd be willing to bet your eggs were cooked, but it would be hell to prove it. I worked Commo for 5 years out of my 10.5 in the Army and know for a fact that a lot of the Communications equipment is extremely high powered and the amount of radiation and microwaves these personnel are exposed to is tremendous amount of it. There does not seem to be a lot of concern about the after effects. I have a couple of conditions that I know would be service connected, but I really don't want to deal with the aggravation and hassle of claiming them after this last fight is been on going for 11 years.

If you saw some of the reports that came out of my hysteroscopy and laparoscopy, you would think so too. My doctor says that the injury to my fallopian tubes are exactly the same, almost identical and he betted that the injury came from the same source. I used to feel like a warming sensation in my stomache. I know the whole jamming system was hardcore because the actions it took to go "live", you would think the protocals were to detonate a nuclear weapon or something. It is hard to prove and what's even worse is if I'm going to be given a problem with the endometriosis then I wouldn't stand a chance declaring that I was "nuked". Ironically, theres so much data done by the FCC, the Navy and Army, stating there were no trustable method to protect from such hazards only detective mechanisms................which we never saw.

But, the reports that I've seen from claims with laparoscopy reports seemed favorable to granting disabilities. Thanks brother!

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if you do decide to claim you should have all your ducks in a row. Do as much resource as you can and contact Fort Gordon to see if they are doing anything new to protect service members. Just a thought.

From what you are describing this should fit:

7629 Endometriosis:

Lesions involving bowel or bladder confirmed by laparoscopy, pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding not controlled by treatment, and bowel or bladder symptoms 50

Pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding not controlled by treatment 30

Pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding requiring continuous treatment for control 10

Note:Diagnosis of endometriosis must be substantiated by laparoscopy.

From what you are describing this should fit:

7629 Endometriosis:

Lesions involving bowel or bladder confirmed by laparoscopy, pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding not controlled by treatment, and bowel or bladder symptoms 50

Pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding not controlled by treatment 30

Pelvic pain or heavy or irregular bleeding requiring continuous treatment for control 10

Note:Diagnosis of endometriosis must be substantiated by laparoscopy.

Clown Man, I'm actually in the process of figuring out how to assess and make the claim. I do have (or had) endometriosis that did attack my bladder but I'm also concerned with the blocked tubes, scaring and adhesion of ovaries to fallopian tube.

I never realized how difficult this whole claims process is.....either that or I'm overwhelming myself with all of the information that I've gathered. I'll put my "proposed" claim down for everyone's dissection and see how to go from there. I had concerns that my fertility doctor would've been too busy to write a nexus but his office girls seem to think he'd do it without hesitation. That was a relief.