Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Dav Or Not To Dav?

Rate this question

cvsp

Question

Little background.

Had a local program with a VSO that is not longer available to me (she left). I have taken over my case and learned a lot (thanks to Hadit and the folks). I was in contact with the local DAV office last Monday. I was told to call back today as they were at a travel board. Called back today and found out I was assigned to someone there, but he was not in on Mondays, and Tuesdays he is doing something else. I can call him Wed-Fri.

So just to get initial contact I am looking at 10 days. Frustrating! Bringing me the the question, is there anything that the DAV rep can do that I can not? Can he look into the VA system? Get status? Walk to the raters desk?

I guess what I am asking is should I put another hurdle in the way? Would it be to my benefit?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cvsp

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

That still leaves me with the question. As far as the VA is concerned I still have a VSO. How do I tell them I do not have a VSO? Could IRIS do it?

Who was your VSO? There are a lot of state VSO's that can review and sign for others.

All you need to do is write in or call in (if they will allow you to do it without a signature), and tell them that you "revoke" your current VSO, and that you wish to represent yourself. Selecting a new VSO does that automatically.

Thanks again MEDDAC. I will revoke the VSO through IRIS tomorrow. If they cannot do it by verbal notification I am sure they will tell me how to. At least they will note it in the system of my intention, which I am told is helpful.

My VSO was from a private veterans program that is no longer there.

The state VSO that I can use, never heard of the term "Compensation and Pension Examine". That ruled him out real quick. :lol:

Edited by cvsp

I think with all the great advise I got here I am going to call the rep on Wed. and "interview" him. If I feel he is a top notch guy, then I will sign up. If not I will carry on my merry way.

That still leaves me with the question. As far as the VA is concerned I still have a VSO. How do I tell them I do not have a VSO? Could IRIS do it?

I believe there is a form when changing/stopping VSO's and I will have to research or you can do a search on hadit for yourself.

It may only take a form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim form but you will need to give a week or so for the updates to be made. If your close enough to your local VARO, then go in and inquire.

I had a great FIRST DAV rep. After that I just use the great people here at hadit.

I do use DAV for moral support at my hearings. I did screw up and listen to them the day of my traveling hearing for one of my claims. Search my post how to screw up a BVA hearing

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

luvhim

With all due respect at our RO in Cleveland the only thing that takes a week is for the employees to visit the water cooler. Everything else is measured in months or years. I agree it should take a week to revoke the POA, however, since I have been struggling to get dependents benefits for 7 years, and it is still not right, I am thinking it will take a year or so for them to straighten out the POA.

It took me about 8 months just to get a copy of my Cfile..there should be no "decision" in this..it should simply be an $10 per hour Government worker capable of operating a copy machine. Oops, that would require an employee who can read, which means a minimum of $60,000 per year, and, of course, they would need to form a committee to determine if Veteran X deserved his C file copied..what he would do if they didn't do it, and what Veteran X could do with his C file when he gets it. Then, they would calculate how many times they can "loose" his FOI form before he gets mad enough to call his senators office, and if his senator would do anything.

They would then "test" the committee on whether or not Veteran Jones deserved his C file copied, by first "loosing" his request. After it was resubmitted 2 or 3 times, the committee would make a recommendation to the board that the Veteran is serious about getting his or her C file. After an appropriate wait time, the committe would then render a final decision on whether or not the Veteran was "worthy" of a C file, after carefully weighing their options. Then, without further ado, the committe would "loose" the request one last time, and wait for the Veterans complaints. If no complaints..whew..it was over. If the Veteran complained "Where is my Cfile" one more time, then the Veterans C file would be sent..to his old discarded address, of course. Assuming the post office would return it in a few weeks, they would then direct a $10 employee to reforward the Veterans C file to his current address: The minimum time for this "process" would be 8 months, and could run into indefinately. They would then all get bonuses for good Veterans Service, and write this procedure into the manual so it could be repeated next year, for other Veterans.