Rate this question

sharon

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Rule change for inservice v/s post service diagnosis of PTSD.

Attached File(s) pdf.gif Posttraumatic_Stress_Disorder.pdf ( 66.58K ) Number of downloads: 17

to a dumb okie like me....what's this mean...in laymans lingo????

<b>for sale.....1 used veteran.slightly broken.

understands very little when it comes to regulations.

please be gentle.housebroken</b> <b>,growls

but does not bite</b>

to a dumb okie like me....what's this mean...in laymans lingo????

The VA will no longer have to do development for PTSD that was diagnosed will still on active duty.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

The VA will no longer have to do development for PTSD that was diagnosed will still on active duty.

what if it wasn't called ptsd ? depression wsith an adjustment disorder ,but was dx'd in 1974

but does not bite</b>

what if it wasn't called ptsd ? depression wsith an adjustment disorder ,but was dx'd in 1974

Chasmire/Raindeer, all mental disorders go to 100%. File for the depression as it was diagnosed while you were in the military. You must show that you have a current condition. Your SMRs will verify that you had a mental condition while you were active duty.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Chasmire/Raindeer, all mental disorders go to 100%. File for the depression as it was diagnosed while you were in the military. You must show that you have a current condition. Your SMRs will verify that you had a mental condition while you were active duty.

it's filed,c and p was done last monday.

but does not bite</b>

It would appear that this "change" changes nothing. The way I read it is the only time the rule is applicable, is when the Veteran was diagnosed with PTSD in Service. For Vietnam and earlier Veterans, basically there was no such thing as PTSD diagnosis in service. If a Veteran had issues after a war or other traumatic event, it was attributed to alcohol, drugs, or the Veterans own willfull misconduct, or maybe "shell shock" and not PTSD diagnosis. I can just see the VA arguing that a diagnosis of "shell shock" is not the same as a PTSD diagnosis under this rule, in order to further frustrate Veterans. It merely creates still another "loophole" for the VA to deny benfits.

For "newer" Veterans, it also changes nothing because, if the Veteran was diagnosed with PTSD in service, then the verification of the stressor became moot.

I really wish this rule change would help Veterans, but it would not appear to change anything but maybe give the VA a hypothetical "attaboy" in the eyes of the public and Veterans groups. I have been decieved by the VA in the past, who was not supposed to shred my evidence, but did so anyway. It takes a lot to betray my trust, but now that the VA has succeeded in doing so, it will also take a lot of honesty for them to regain my trust.