VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Brother Laid Off, Can He Receive Any Benefits Or Use Va Health Plan.

Rate this question

3 years to retire

Question

My brother got laid off and has no health benefits My brother, who served in the Airforce ( 1968-1971) spent 6 months in Korea, TDY. He now has diabeties. We heard (from our local DAV officer) that Korea was also exposed to Agent Organge. I have been trying to encourge him to apply for s/c so he can get health benefits from the VA. As I said he was laid off and does not have any health benefits.

I was also wondering if he might be able to just use the VA for health benefits. He is living off his IRA and owes a house note. Does anyone has any information on these two questions?

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

My brother got laid off and has no health benefits My brother, who served in the Airforce ( 1968-1971) spent 6 months in Korea, TDY. He now has diabeties. We heard (from our local DAV officer) that Korea was also exposed to Agent Organge. I have been trying to encourge him to apply for s/c so he can get health benefits from the VA. As I said he was laid off and does not have any health benefits.

I was also wondering if he might be able to just use the VA for health benefits. He is living off his IRA and owes a house note. Does anyone has any information on these two questions?

Thanks

The Korea Agent Orange regulations only cover certain veterans who were within a 151 swath of land on the southside of the civilian control line in Korea at the DMZ.

There is a limited time period in 1968 and 1969 and there is a complete unit list here at hadit under a search as well as at the NVLSP web site.

If his unit and MOS put him into that limited scenarioa the VA will service connect his diabetes (Diabetes Mellitus Type II not Type I)and any complications or secondary conditions he has due to the DMII.

The DAV was correct to an extent- there is only a limited scenario for Korean vets to attain SC under the AO regs.

I meant 151 mile swath that was 200-300 yards wide-

The spraying occurred between April to August 1968 and May to July 1969.

If he was in this area in those dates and is on the AO Unit list he should immediately apply for SC.

Here is the partial list of units-

http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/ArticleLi...O-aoinkorea.htm

You said Air Force? Did he serve in Korea in conjunction with any of these units? or in support of?

The expanded unit list includes per NVLSP-

3rd battalion 32Infantry (as part of 3rd Brigade (7thInf)

also all who were in Division Reaction Force -4th Squadron, 7th CAv COunter Agent Company

United Nations Security Command BAttalion

Crew of th USS Pueblo

if any of above served during the limiting AO date period.

I wish the DAV had given him more specific info.

My brother got laid off and has no health benefits My brother, who served in the Airforce ( 1968-1971) spent 6 months in Korea, TDY. He now has diabeties. We heard (from our local DAV officer) that Korea was also exposed to Agent Organge. I have been trying to encourge him to apply for s/c so he can get health benefits from the VA. As I said he was laid off and does not have any health benefits. I was also wondering if he might be able to just use the VA for health benefits. He is living off his IRA and owes a house note. Does anyone has any information on these two questions?

Thanks

3years,

Berta has given you some good information on AO/Korea.

A veteran is not required to be SC'd to recieve Health Care Benefits from VA.

All they need do is go to the VA - go to the Eligibility Office -

say I'm sick and need medical care -I have no other medical resource's -

take the means (financial) test, and start getting medical care there.

jmho,

carlie