Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating

Rate this question

Chauncey

Question

Hello everyone and how are you doing. I am in need of some information concerning my claim. What are SMC "S" or SMC levels.

I am 100% rated for PTSD and my original claim was for heart condition in 1992 but I received the above rating and the heart condition was denied!

Chauncey :)

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp02.htm

SMC "S" -if a vet is 100% for one SC and then rated at 60% or more for additional SC they can get SMC "S" award- or if they are declared Housebound or in need of Aid and Attendance with one 100% SC disability they can get SMC S

As the rate chart shows - the SMC awards can go up to well over 4,000 a month with catastrophic disabilities and they add extra for dependents just like regular compensation.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp02.htm

SMC "S" -if a vet is 100% for one SC and then rated at 60% or more for additional SC they can get SMC "S" award- or if they are declared Housebound or in need of Aid and Attendance with one 100% SC disability they can get SMC S

As the rate chart shows - the SMC awards can go up to well over 4,000 a month with catastrophic disabilities and they add extra for dependents just like regular compensation.

Berta,

Just a little correction in what you posted. If a veteran is a 100 percent and is in need of aid and attendance, that is different than SMC s. That would actually be SMC L. Thanks for what you do to help so many people. We need more people like you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am in the process of learning myself I just won at the BVA level for CAD and hypertension my CAD will be 100% due to my ejection fraction being 25% anything less than 30% is a 100% rating, I also have 2 failed stints and a failed triple bypass, my hypertension will either eb 10% or 20% but I don't think it matters either way between my 100% schedular for PTSD and 100% for CAD I expect to be SMC S then I plan on asking for A&A since I have to hire all of my yard work done and anything else to the house, I can't do the plumbing or electrical work anymore my wife won't let me near a ladder rofl ILP refused tobuy me tools saying I would be dangerous to myself due to the drugs the VA has me on, they bought me a camera instead lol

I intend on asking for the K award also, and the house and auto grant since they issued me that power chair in Sep 2003 since I can't walk without losing my breath and getting extreme chest pains about 100 feet I think that qualifies for the loss of use due to the severity of my heart problems. I will see, they told me I couldn't get the CAD SC secondary to my PTSD also, andas you can all see I am not afraid of bucking the system.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Redd said:

"Berta,

Just a little correction in what you posted. If a veteran is a 100 percent and is in need of aid and attendance, that is different than SMC s. That would actually be SMC L. Thanks for what you do to help so many people. We need more people like you. "

RIGHT I just found this -----Thanks a lot of correcting me.

I read this SMC stuff and get dinky dauw-

It can be a most confusing benefit in those higher levels-

The VBM by NVLSP explains it all-but it still confused me.

I told VA they owed accrued to me in a CUE under SMC R-1 award for my husband-

I documented the med recs etc for support for the R-1 level but sure forget how I got there-

He was 10O % SC,PTSD then 100% under Sec 1151 CVA and my present claim evidence reveals (with 3 IMOS) 100% SC due to DMII and complications and I cued this statement:

"The veteran was not eligible for SMC consideration under any circumstance."

Say what? I whipped out M21-1 regs and 2 OGC pres ops and even BVA legal statements in BVA decision pertinent to the evidence as to SMC under 1151 etc etc, and they have had this claim for 5 years.

I asked for both DRO review and then transfer to BVA.

AMC said it is at BVA, but I have no idea where it is-BVA doesnt have it-

one more thing to do when I take time off next month-

My other CUE is pending too-

My husband had significant heart disease for 6 years, VA malpracticed and never diagnosed it.

VACO determined this was due to VA malpractice.

A rating they did days after the VACO review did not contain any rating for heart disease . The CAD was instrumental in a proper SMC award.

This is the other CUE.

I think they are still looking up what cardiomyopathy with multi focal fibrosis means.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta:

Whew makes my head spin. I have always wondered how non service conditions impact the higher awards. I guess that I am fixin to find out cause I am going to look into getting a higher SMC due to the fact that the VA sends a nurse to me once a week and an aide twice a week that tells me I could have her 4 days a week if I asked.

I do have S Award but I may have gotten it for something other than my 130% but I got no letter explaining why it was awarded although I asked for it based on 100% Panic Disorder with agoraphobia. My symptoms are getting worse and now we have our kids doing our shopping although I usually go to lunch with an old friend on thursday the only time I leave house.

I have a laundry list of problems including

Panic Disorder/agoraphobia 100% P&T plus S

Flat Feet 30%

Diabetes II

CAD with 1 stent

Neuropathy in feet and legs

Restrictive Lung Disease

I take 39 meds all necessary according to my Primary Doc at VA. Some days all I can do is use computer for awhile and hang out on my chair or just stay in bed. My biggest problem is stumbling it is very hard to keep my bearings. The VA put me on the no show list cause I missed 1 appointment list and I am required to come into primary Doc and have her renew all my medications cause they canceled meds until I do.

So for anyone who thinks your battle is over with the VA it really is not till they get their act together. Its not the Veterans fault that VA is screwed up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.