Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please Help

pacmanx1

I have windows XP and it get stuck in the restart mode for hours. I do not have to do anything it does it itself. My last computer was hit by storm and this one was given to me and I do not have the XP CD or disk. what can I do to stop this from happening for hours at a time. Thanks It does work but it is a hassle to use not sure if it is the time to buy a new computer and not sure of a good system to use.

Pete

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of options that you can try. Since you do not have the XP disk, and the computer works after awhile:

1. Go to start > program > accessories and click on command prompt.

2. When the Command Prompt dialog box opens up, type "chkdsk C: /r", (without quotes and spaces are important) assuming C is the hard drive your operating system is on. The hard drive identification letter will be identified by the first letter displayed in the Command Prompt dialog box "C:\".

3. You will receive a message box stating that the volume is in use by another application, and do you want to have it run the next time you start the computer. Type Y and press Enter.

4. Type Exit to close the Command Prompt dialog box.

You didn't mention if a Blue Screen displays briefly before the computer reboots. If it does, then an error is occuring. To disable the computer from automatically rebooting when an error occurs:

1. Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recover, click Settings to open the dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box by clicking on the check mark to make it disappear.

5. Click on the OK button, until you are back to your desktop.

6. Restart computer for the settings to take effect.

7. The next time the error occurs, a Blue Screen will display with an error message. Write down the error number e.g. 0x0000007b, a fairly common error number for loose connections or failing hard drives.

I hope this helps. :huh:

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• 3 weeks later...
  • In Memoriam

I bought a new bare bones unit from CompUSA with a much faster duel core processor. Pluged in my old drives with a new 500 gig, works great.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Catego...e=Barebone-Kits

Here is a guy that went through a lot only to find out it was the PSU (Power Supply Unit).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...-over-over.html

Here are a couple more help pages.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/55951/

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48937

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity