Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Apply For A Higher A+a Rating/not A Good Idea

Rate this question

babynoah

Question

was informed that the rating decision is good for 10 yrs. and to just let my file stay as is since it depends on the person reviewing the file...years ago a 100% tot. and perm. comp for va and a rating of "L" for a + a was recently approved. is there a way to appeal for a higher letter rating/it's such a hit or miss thing it's not recommended. My a+a claim was first denied, but upon appeal it was approved.

also, is there a break down/some sort of table that defines what problems fit into which letter categories under a+a?

what's house and home bound/is it the same as a+a? is that a separate prog. to apply to or is it considered applied to already when a+a was already applied for?

many thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

There is considerable info here on SMC-

have you checked this info? Put Special Monthly Compensation into the search browser-

we hacve high level SMC vets here too

The VBM has extensive info on the many ways to attain higher levels of A & A- if you have no access to a copy of the VBM- try a search at BVA web site under recent SMC claims- and this could help you-

what's house and home bound/is it the same as a+a? is that a separate prog. to apply to or is it considered applied to already when a+a was already applied for?

many thanks

Different levels of A&A do exist but such awards are based on the veterans level of disability. Level L is the base award for A&A, I get Level L 1/2 because I also have a 100% rating and a seperate disability rated 50% or more. Someone with a loss of a leg might get a higher level of A&A. Unlike housebound you do not have to be rated 100% to get A&A. It is based on medical need.

Housebound is not the same as A&A and there are two ways to be awarded Housebound... first the veteran must be rated 100% regardless and TDIU does not count for housebound. Housebound can be awared based on factual medical evidence that the veteran is actually house bound, or it can be awarded by statute if a veteran has a 100% rating and a seperate award of 60% which does not require that a veteran prove housebound.

A&A is a higher level of Special monthly compensation, you cannot be awarded A&A and Housebound at the same time.

SMC's get real complicated and it takes a lot of reading and deep study to really understand them.

Hope this helps answer your question.

thank you Teac and berta for the info. I didn't even know about the BVM until reading your response, Mrs. Berta, so am going to start there and everywhere to better understand. Nope, definitely not an easy to understand program, but i am putting time into it since it can be helpful. again, many thanks!