Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Regional Office Rating Differences

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

My "home" office is Oakland RO. My claim has been sent to Phoenix for processing. I have heard that there are large differences among the various RO rating boards as to how they do their ratings and their results.

Has anyone had experience with Phoenix?

I have three claims and the most important is for PTSD. The C & P examiner gave me a GAF of 45 and said in the report that I am unemployable due to the PTSD. The report states unquivocally that I meet the DSM IV requirements for a diagnosis of PTSD. I have been on Social Security Disability for over 10 years. The examiner also mentions this fact in the report. Also, I have submitted a psychiatrist's letter establishing a nexus between PTSD and subsequent alcoholism (I haven't had a drink for 15 years).

Now I am waiting to hear the results of the rating. No idea how long that will take, what the result will be or if having Phoenix process it will make a difference.

Does anyone have any information to share?

Thx.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

jsdwd, Welcome to Hadit and thank you for your service to our great country. Hope your situation is improved by applying for sc disability.

From what I've read and learned these past few years working my claim, there are differences among the VAROs. But that said, VARO regulations and rating criteria are the same and the veteran needs well served.

With what you posted the ptsd rating seems likely and imho unemployability should be inferred or offered if ssdi is for disability condition. Hard to say exactly. Hope you have the ptsd and unemployability rating criteria to review while waiting on the rating decision.

Are all your claims in just now? If so, thats a factor in how soon your rating will come about. For example, I recently claimed for increase and unemployability, seperately, but the va is treating these requests side by side at the same time.

Encourage you to IRIS (inquiry to the VA) for status of ptsd claim and the others. Remember to print a Iris response copy for your files.

Probably shouldn't be too long from what you posted and I hope you get a good outcome somewhere in the next month.

Best wishes to ya,

Cowgirl'up2009!

My "home" office is Oakland RO. My claim has been sent to Phoenix for processing. I have heard that there are large differences among the various RO rating boards as to how they do their ratings and their results.

I have three claims and the most important is for PTSD. The C & P examiner gave me a GAF of 45 and said in the report that I am unemployable due to the PTSD. The report states unquivocally that I meet the DSM IV requirements for a diagnosis of PTSD. I have been on Social Security Disability for over 10 years. The examiner also mentions this fact in the report. Also, I have submitted a psychiatrist's letter establishing a nexus between PTSD and subsequent alcoholism (I haven't had a drink for 15 years).

Now I am waiting to hear the results of the rating. No idea how long that will take, what the result will be or if having Phoenix process it will make a difference.

Thx.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Thx.

This is my first post. After seven years I managed to get my sc for hepatitis c on Apr 24 09. I was a corpsman from 73-75 in the Navy. I wrote a note to IRIS asking what the rating was and in the reply I received It states that the Appeals management center has my my C file for a rating. I claimed depression and Cirrhosis a secondary to hcv. In 2006 the VARO denial in SLC agreed it was attributed to hepatitis and cirrhosis the same thing. But they were not allowed to let it in because the hcv was denied. I suppose my question is how long is the AMC going to wait before they let me know? I'm sure several of you fine people have been here before but I cant find a post for this.

Thanks Rob

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe you should be happy as Phoenix used to be one of the worst but a Veteran organized and started putting up billboards calling that VARO out and guess what happened. They brought in new management and it was turned around and now known as being pretty good as far VARO's go.

Have not heard much about them lately. They used to be almost as well known as St Pete. There are some here on Hadit who know the p[lace better than I.

Good Luck on your claim.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thank you Senior Chief. For some reason my profile says seaman and I can't seem to change it. I left active duty as YN2. I have three claims and all are in. (hearing and Agent Orange/Diabetes are the other two). I called today and was told that my claim is before the 'rating board' in Phoenix. I guess it's a matter of waiting (not my specialty). Any idea how long this may take. The claim was filed in October so I guess this is average??

Thanks for your good wishes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of us aren't Navy, but its just the ranking system that Hadit comes with. Think its on the first page~! Best to ya, if your claim is before the rating board it shouldn't be too long now. Again, I encourage IRIS email inquiry with the VA, most I recieve are rather factual and good fodder for the file. If you happen to be in 'dire straights' I have heard the VA push a rating to the top of the pile to help.

Cg'up2009!

Thank you Senior Chief. For some profile says seaman and I can't seem to change it. I left active duty as YN2. I have three claims and all are in. (hearing and Agent Orange/Diabetes are the other two). I called today and was told that my claim is before the 'rating board' in Phoenix. I guess it's a matter of waiting (nreason my ot my specialty). Any idea how long this may take. The claim was filed in October so I guess this is average??

Thanks for your good wishes.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!