Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Yea - Duckworth Is Sworn In

Rate this question

carlie

Question

As assistant secretary, Duckworth will direct VA’s public affairs programs and its intergovernmental efforts. She also will oversee programs for homeless Veterans and consumer affairs.

B&MWebAd_animNEW.gifDuckworth was an Army helicopter pilot flying combat missions in Iraq in 2004 when she suffered grave injuries when her helicopter was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade, and she lost both legs and partial use of one arm. She spent 13 months at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Although Walter Reed is not part of the VA’s extensive network of medical facilities, Duckworth chose the Army site for her swearing in to recognize the facility’s role in her recovery and to encourage other disabled service members and Veterans.

“Walter Reed is where I first saw how effective the DoD-VA partnership in caring for our Veterans can be,” she said. “My VA coordinator had an office at Walter Reed, and I saw her on a weekly basis even before I was discharged to VA care.”

Duckworth comes to VA from Illinois state government, where she had been director of the state Veterans office in Illinois since 2006.

Her previous managerial experience includes coordinating the Center for Nursing Research at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, and managing clubs and districts for Rotary International’s Asia-Pacific region from 2002 to 2003.

She earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Hawaii and a master’s degree from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Born in Thailand, she is the daughter of a U.S. Marine who fought in Vietnam. She is married to Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran and National Guard officer, Major Bryan Bowlsbey.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bout time I was really mad when that skunk tried to stop her nomination.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

It took way to long the Senator from NC ought to be ashamed of himself for blocking her from getting the confirmation vote months ago She proved her help to veterans in Illinois as the head of their state agency

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."