Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Foot Problems

Rate this question

kluender

Question

I need advice on how to proceed with a right foot disability claim. Last year I requested service connection for plantar fasciitis. The decision came back 10% for metatarsalgia.

There's a notation in my smr from an X-ray report that states "relatively flat foot, but still has a little maintaining of her arch when she stands on it". I didn't have flat feet when I entered the Army.

I suffered a grade II ankle sprain during service (the only time I went on sick call for my right ankle) when I fell off a curb. I also complained about a left ankle sprain. Actually, I had more ankle sprains, but failed to go on sick call except these two times. I did tell the medic and doctor that my ankles were "weak". Since I retired February 1999, I've continued to have episodes where I almost fall when my right ankle turns outwards, especially if I walk on uneven surfaces such as cobblestone. I believe this is called "inversion".

VA has the following annotations in my records: chronic plantar fasciitis, equinus deformity, flat feet, pain in right arch, excessive pronation, bilateral plantar calcaneal spurs, pain on bottom of both heels, gastroc equinas, hammertoes 4 and 5 bilateral, increased coldness on rt vs left foot, weak FHL muscle, ambulation with a cane, abulation with a walker (recent), progressive rt foot pain and "custom orthotics didn't help her".

I just read John999's post today that said VA will only grant 1 disability for the foot. Since I've been rated for metatarsalgia which only goes up to 10% what can I do?

I have had a claim in for over a year now, to sc pes planus and plantar faciitis, among other things. On my entry physical the doctor noted asymptomatic bi-lateral pes planus +2 degrees. Over the years my arches fell all the way down, and I had probs with that and plantar faciitis while on active duty, well documented in my smr. So, my claim is for 'aggravation to a pre-existing condition' for the pes planus. The plantar faciitis is clearly service connected. My feet are in bad shape now, and I wonder how the rating team will see things.

On another note about BVA, that is good advice from Carlie. I always use the sight to see how MY VA office handles things, as they are inconsistent at best across the country. I figure that if I see how the BVA handles the appeals from MY office, it will better prepare me for getting my claim through first time.

Any thoughts or experience about my claim? Once I get the decision, I will post the results here.

Thanks,

--Jim

Life is good! :D

Edited by BMCS00

Here's a link to do a BVA search for your research.

Do remember BVA decisions do not set precedent,

but by studying these decisions you will surely gain information

on these conditions and how the ratings can be applied.

Do remember ordinarily your claim and evidence will not be exact to these cases.

Just put your conditions into the search section and check all years

or a specific year you want to check.

You will probably be given several links of BVA cases to study

what was granted or denied on what bases and what rules

and regs were applied.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

Thanks Carlie. That helps alot.

I have had a claim in for over a year now, to sc pes planus and plantar faciitis, among other things. On my entry physical the doctor noted asymptomatic bi-lateral pes planus +2 degrees. Over the years my arches fell all the way down, and I had probs with that and plantar faciitis while on active duty, well documented in my smr. So, my claim is for 'aggravation to a pre-existing condition' for the pes planus. The plantar faciitis is clearly service connected. My feet are in bad shape now, and I wonder how the rating team will see things.

On another note about BVA, that is good advice from Carlie. I always use the sight to see how MY VA office handles things, as they are inconsistent at best across the country. I figure that if I see how the BVA handles the appeals from MY office, it will better prepare me for getting my claim through first time.

Any thoughts or experience about my claim? Once I get the decision, I will post the results here.

Thanks,

--Jim

Life is good! ;)

Jim, please let us know as soon as you receive the decision. I haven't put my claim in yet.