Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Foot Problems

Rate this question

kluender

Question

I need advice on how to proceed with a right foot disability claim. Last year I requested service connection for plantar fasciitis. The decision came back 10% for metatarsalgia.

There's a notation in my smr from an X-ray report that states "relatively flat foot, but still has a little maintaining of her arch when she stands on it". I didn't have flat feet when I entered the Army.

I suffered a grade II ankle sprain during service (the only time I went on sick call for my right ankle) when I fell off a curb. I also complained about a left ankle sprain. Actually, I had more ankle sprains, but failed to go on sick call except these two times. I did tell the medic and doctor that my ankles were "weak". Since I retired February 1999, I've continued to have episodes where I almost fall when my right ankle turns outwards, especially if I walk on uneven surfaces such as cobblestone. I believe this is called "inversion".

VA has the following annotations in my records: chronic plantar fasciitis, equinus deformity, flat feet, pain in right arch, excessive pronation, bilateral plantar calcaneal spurs, pain on bottom of both heels, gastroc equinas, hammertoes 4 and 5 bilateral, increased coldness on rt vs left foot, weak FHL muscle, ambulation with a cane, abulation with a walker (recent), progressive rt foot pain and "custom orthotics didn't help her".

I just read John999's post today that said VA will only grant 1 disability for the foot. Since I've been rated for metatarsalgia which only goes up to 10% what can I do?

• HadIt.com Elder

I am rated 30% for flat feet. When I went in the Army said I did not have it. When I left the Doc noted I had flat feet. Probably the easiest claim I ever had with VA after the C&P I got the award in 9 months from the time I filed. This was in 1991

I need advice on how to proceed with a right foot disability claim. Last year I requested service connection for plantar fasciitis. The decision came back 10% for metatarsalgia.

There's a notation in my smr from an X-ray report that states "relatively flat foot, but still has a little maintaining of her arch when she stands on it". I didn't have flat feet when I entered the Army.

I suffered a grade II ankle sprain during service (the only time I went on sick call for my right ankle) when I fell off a curb. I also complained about a left ankle sprain. Actually, I had more ankle sprains, but failed to go on sick call except these two times. I did tell the medic and doctor that my ankles were "weak". Since I retired February 1999, I've continued to have episodes where I almost fall when my right ankle turns outwards, especially if I walk on uneven surfaces such as cobblestone. I believe this is called "inversion".

VA has the following annotations in my records: chronic plantar fasciitis, equinus deformity, flat feet, pain in right arch, excessive pronation, bilateral plantar calcaneal spurs, pain on bottom of both heels, gastroc equinas, hammertoes 4 and 5 bilateral, increased coldness on rt vs left foot, weak FHL muscle, ambulation with a cane, abulation with a walker (recent), progressive rt foot pain and "custom orthotics didn't help her".

I just read John999's post today that said VA will only grant 1 disability for the foot. Since I've been rated for metatarsalgia which only goes up to 10% what can I do?

Edited by *Bergie*

If your award is less than 1 year old than file a notice of disagreement. From what you describe you have issues with your ankles as well as your feet which can be rated seperately. Have your private doctor get you refered to podietry and ortho (for ankles) to establish new evidence and re-open the claim if it is over 1 year old.

Good luck,

Bergie

If your award is less than 1 year old than file a notice of disagreement. From what you describe you have issues with your ankles as well as your feet which can be rated seperately. Have your private doctor get you refered to podietry and ortho (for ankles) to establish new evidence and re-open the claim if it is over 1 year old.

Good luck,

Bergie

Thanks for replying Bergie. What confuses me about foot claim awards is that I often see for example, "plantar fasciitis with pes planus" is awarded at such and such %. I'm wondering when the decision is awarded this way if VA is saying that separate awards for plantar fasciitis, pes planus or heel spurs is pyramiding?

What confuses me about foot claim awards is that I often see for example, "plantar fasciitis with pes planus" is awarded at such and such %. I'm wondering when the decision is awarded this way if VA is saying that separate awards for plantar fasciitis, pes planus or heel spurs is pyramiding?

Wondering the same thing. I'm rated 30% for Pes Plantus and 0% for Calcaneal Spurs. Now I have pain/painful motion in my right foot, specifically the heel. So, can the % for the spurs go up if I re-open the claim? I have a referral to a podiatrist and hopefully will get a letter from him.

Here's a link to do a BVA search for your research.

Do remember BVA decisions do not set precedent,

but by studying these decisions you will surely gain information

on these conditions and how the ratings can be applied.

Do remember ordinarily your claim and evidence will not be exact to these cases.

Just put your conditions into the search section and check all years

or a specific year you want to check.

You will probably be given several links of BVA cases to study

what was granted or denied on what bases and what rules

and regs were applied.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html