Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It May Be Just Me, But Things Are Getting Confusing.

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

When I am not working on my current claim, always trying to find additional supporting evidence, I am working, not only on my next claim, but I am always thinking and working on my CUE claim whcih dates back to 1974. Boy does it ever get confusing, especially with the meds I am on.

The Cue claim has to reference the evidence, laws, regulations, and such extent at the time (1974) My current claim references (DC) that may have changed since the previous claims denial. This is were it gets a bit confusing. Either the VA Rater miss labled the (DC) or they changed since then, but it has only been about 5 yrs. between these claims and what I am seeing sure has me going over the Disability Schedule over and over.

Apparently the VA is using a different coding than the DSM IV (DC) numbers and some DSM (DC) either don't have corresponding VA (DC) or the reference material I am using is outdated or incomplete.

I already noticed that the DSM II (DC) has changed, when using the DSM IV, which is understandable, but the VA (DC) don't necessarily correspond or cross over in the DSM IV in all cases.

I think even the VA Rater is having trouble differentiating between the two. For instance, I was given a diagnosis of an Adjustment Disorder the Depression and Anxiety, NSC with a VA (DC) of 9434, yet it corresponds with the DSM IV with Major Depression Disorder, where as the Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood and Anxiety in the DSM IV gives the (DC) as 309.28

It's driving me nuttier than I am already and it's happening already in my current claim, where the VA has my painful scars being rated under VA (DC) 6504, when it should be under 7804 for unstable or painful scars.

If anyone can make sence of this, all the power to you, it's got me chasing my tail, sort of speak.

Rockhound Rider :lol::huh: ;) :lol:

Edited by Rockhound

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

From reading your post, it appears that things are confusing. I would take a break from it all this weekend.

Monday morning I would get everything pertaining to the CUE and separate it from the other pending claims. And so on. I would then look through the material and see what is duplicated. I would check to see if I have written anything more than once and put it in a pile marked "personal reference." That means, don't throw anything away...but try to "clean out" your files a bit and organize them. Presentation means as much as evidence to the VA, in my opinion.

Most important right now...again, in my opinion, is to take a breather for the weekend. Best regards!!

If anyone can make sence of this, all the power to you, it's got me chasing my tail, sort of speak.

Rockhound Rider :lol::huh: ;) :lol:

Made perfect sense to me. Though Social Security certainly had its drawbacks, one good thing about it was that they handled everything together. They weren't making 40 different decisions about 26 different issues, and sending you 897 different letters - each with different issues, different appeal dates, etc. etc.

I think the stratgey of the VA is to keep you "chasing your tail" until you wear out, die, miss an appeal date, appeal the wrong thing at the right time or the right thing at the wrong time, or melt into a puddle.

Maybe it would be a benefit to have multiple personality disorder when dealing with the VA. Then you could just assign each personality the task of keeping track of one of the crazymaking issues.

Trying to stay sane while dealing with the VA, NOT as easy...

Free

Think Outside the Box!

Rock,

You posted,

"I think even the VA Rater is having trouble differentiating between the two. For instance, I was given a diagnosis of an Adjustment Disorder the Depression and Anxiety, NSC with a VA (DC) of 9434, yet it corresponds with the DSM IV with Major Depression Disorder, where as the Adjustment

Disorder with Depressed Mood and Anxiety in the DSM IV gives the (DC) as 309.28"

309.28 is not a VBA Diagnostic Code - it looks more like an ICD Code to me.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Rock,

You posted,

"I think even the VA Rater is having trouble differentiating between the two. For instance, I was given a diagnosis of an Adjustment Disorder the Depression and Anxiety, NSC with a VA (DC) of 9434, yet it corresponds with the DSM IV with Major Depression Disorder, where as the Adjustment

Disorder with Depressed Mood and Anxiety in the DSM IV gives the (DC) as 309.28"

309.28 is not a VBA Diagnostic Code - it looks more like an ICD Code to me.

jmho,

carlie

carlie: I guess you can't believe everything posted on the Internet, even if it appears to be from a reliable source.

My source came from BehaveNeet Clinical Capsule "DSM IV Adjustment Disorder

The specific(s) can be specified on Axis IV

309.0 With Depressed Mood

309.24 With Anxiety

309.28 With Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood

309.3 With Disturbance of Conduct

Maybe this is why I get so easily confused, no one can use a common DC for anything.

Rockhound Rider ;)

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

Rock,

Yes, it is an ICD code usually used for things like billing, insurance, etc...

Do not confuse it with a DC that would be found in 38 CFR - Part 4 -

Schedule for Rating Disabilities.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

"309.3 With Disturbance of Conduct...."

Now, that there is something I haven't claimed/applied for, yet!

But, and ask The One Who Must Be Obeyed and she will vouch for my applicability and suitability to this 309.3!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph