VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice Please.. Helping A Vet I Met Recently At Er

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

I was trying to get some advice for a vet that i met at the ER....He got out in 96 and he was telling me that he was in a car acciednt and was having ptsd from this but he was ashamed to go to the theripist.... is this a stressor? has it been to long since he has never spoke about it? it in his smr 2 times about the car accident.... also he told me his mother died when he finshed basic training and that ever since he flet like he is helpless amd depressed since he couldnt be thier for her..he siad he was only 18 ... i told him that i would help him...any advice is ok i see him quite often as for some reason we always end up at the er at the same time... is this a ptsd and depression claim?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was trying to get some advice for a vet that i met at the ER....He got out in 96 and he was telling me that he was in a car acciednt and was having ptsd from this but he was ashamed to go to the theripist.... is this a stressor? has it been to long since he has never spoke about it? it in his smr 2 times about the car accident.... also he told me his mother died when he finshed basic training and that ever since he flet like he is helpless amd depressed since he couldnt be thier for her..he siad he was only 18 ... i told him that i would help him...any advice is ok i see him quite often as for some reason we always end up at the er at the same time... is this a ptsd and depression claim?

I wish i could help you in this case ,but this is way abovee me and i am hesitent to give advice. maybe one of the elders on here that have more expreience could advicse you on that

• HadIt.com Elder

A little research on internet will show anyone with an open mind that PTSD can be found by a stressful event like a car accident especially if severe trauma or death is involved. I have met several people with an anxiety disorder that can be the result of a car accident.

This man needs treatment a diagnosis and will have to prove that his PTSD is linked to when he was in service. Hwever untreated PTSD is going to be his biggest problem so if there is anyway he needs to start seeing someone as soon as he can.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Car Accidents Are Leading Cause For Posttraumatic Stress Disorder In The General Population, Says New Book

Psychological Disorders, Like Depression, Predispose Accident Victims to Developing PTSD; Women Suffer More Than Men

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/car.html

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/ptsd_links.html

A little research on internet will show anyone with an open mind that PTSD can be found by a stressful event like a car accident especially if severe trauma or death is involved. I have met several people with an anxiety disorder that can be the result of a car accident.

This man needs treatment a diagnosis and will have to prove that his PTSD is linked to when he was in service. Hwever untreated PTSD is going to be his biggest problem so if there is anyway he needs to start seeing someone as soon as he can.

Good Luck

ok..thank you for info and time...yea i told him that if he going to claim it he need treatment and diagnosis since he allready has a inservice trigger in his smr's....no one was killed but he siad that he has flashbacks,sleeplessness,gets panic attacks when he has to drive..... well he told me that he has a diagnosis of ptsd from the va,but it was from 4 years ago and it was not related to service///// i was going to tell him how the va will use that against him but i wnated to get advice from more experieced vets////.....

Car Accidents Are Leading Cause For Posttraumatic Stress Disorder In The General Population, Says New Book

Psychological Disorders, Like Depression, Predispose Accident Victims to Developing PTSD; Women Suffer More Than Men

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/car.html

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/ptsd_links.html

wow that a neat link their pete thank you so much

wow that a neat link their pete thank you so much

here something you might wanted to read and consider when talking to him again...

Service connection is warranted if it is shown that a Veteran

has a disability resulting from an injury incurred or a

disease contracted in active service, or for aggravation of a

preexisting injury or disease in active military service. 38

U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 1131; 38 C.F.R. § 3.303. Service

connection may also be granted for any disease diagnosed

after discharge when all of the evidence establishes that the

disease was incurred in service. 38 C.F.R. § 3.303(d).

Service connection for PTSD requires medical evidence

diagnosing the condition in accordance with 38 C.F.R. §

4.125(a); a link, established by medical evidence, between

current symptoms and the claimed inservice stressor; and

credible evidence that the claimed inservice stressor

actually occurred. 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f); Cohen v. Brown, 10

Vet. App. 128 (1997).

VA is required to evaluate the supporting evidence in light

of the places, types, and circumstances of service, as

evidenced by service records, the official history of each

organization in which the Veteran served, the Veteran's

military records, and all pertinent medical and lay evidence.

38 U.S.C.A. § 1154(a).

VA records in the Veteran's claims file contain a diagnosis

of PTSD. The Board notes, however, that a diagnosis of PTSD,

related to service, based on an examination which relied upon

an unverified history, is inadequate. West v. Brown, 7 Vet.

App. 70, 77 (1994). It must therefore be determined whether

there exists a stressor which has been verified from official

sources or if there is credible supporting evidence from

another source that a stressor claimed by the Veteran

occurred.

The Board observes that if a claimed stressor relates to

combat, service department evidence that the Veteran engaged

in combat, or received certain personal awards normally

associated with combat, will be accepted (in the absence of

evidence to the contrary) as conclusive evidence of the

claimed in-service stressor. 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f). If,

however, the VA determines that the Veteran did not engage in

combat with the enemy, the Veteran's lay testimony, by

itself, is not sufficient to establish the occurrence of the

alleged stressor. Instead, the record must contain credible

supporting evidence which corroborates the Veteran's

testimony or statements. 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f); Cohen, supra.