VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get Rated For This?

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have have been diagnosed with trichinellosis and I am not sure how to go about starting a claim for this?

I will try to keep it as simple as possible but this is a very complex condition.  It is a food born parasite that is mostly found overseas and is very rare in the US.  I have all the symptoms to include joint pain, muscle weakness, cardiac complaints, lung involvement, skin irritation, and neurological issues.  I have filed for most of the issues I describe but I am not sure if I should file something else.  I looked into the GWI issue to see if I should file for that, but I think this is complicated by the fact that that rating is set up for something that does not have a known cause.  I have all the symptoms but I have a confirmed diagnosis.  Any help would be great.  There is a lot more to this so if anyone has any interest I can provide more info.  To understand this parasite it is best to google it.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If it is not in your medical records and you have been discharged for over 1 year you will need a Doctor to diagnose and link it to your service.

Have you been treated for it?

I know a woman who got it and lived in Dallas her entire life. It can be acquired by undercooked meat.

PS The woman made a complete recovery

I do have all of the symptoms listed in my service records like GI and joint complaints.  As far as a diagnoses, I just got diagnosed and it has been more than a year.  I do not think I will have any problem getting my doctor to link it to my service with one of those "as likely as not" statements.  I am awaiting a muscle biopsy to specify the specific type which can narrow it down to the species that is mostly found in the middle east.  I believe there are about 5 to 7 different species.  I would be interested in how she made a full recovery if you have any info on that.  Thanks a great deal.  Again do you know of any other ratings other than all of the individual complications.  I don't think there is anything in the VA register for parasites but I could be wrong.

If it is not in your medical records and you have been discharged for over 1 year you will need a Doctor to diagnose and link it to your service. Have you been treated for it? I know a woman who got it and lived in Dallas her entire life. It can be acquired by undercooked meat. PS The woman made a complete recovery

• HadIt.com Elder
If it is not in your medical records and you have been discharged for over 1 year you will need a Doctor to diagnose and link it to your service.

Have you been treated for it?

I know a woman who got it and lived in Dallas her entire life. It can be acquired by undercooked meat.

PS The woman made a complete recovery

I think that what bigoc is saying is that there are different sub-species of this parasite and that he can prove that his particular bug came from the GW1 locale, thereby making the argument that the VA would like to make (they'd like to say that he, too, picked up the parasite in Dallas, or Des Moines), moot.

Smart feller, that bigoc.