• donate-be-a-hero.png

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder And Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/39/2/168

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Sleep Apnea, Apolipoprotein E (APOE), and Cognition.

This study is currently recruiting participants. Verified by Department of Veterans Affairs, May 2008First Received: April 15, 2005 Last Updated: August 25, 2008

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00108641

Edited by allan

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Interesting as I have had sleep disorder or disruption since I was in the Army. I rarely sleep more than a couple of hours at a time.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems the focus is always on PTSD when many vets suffer from other anxiety disorders and mental health disorders. Why the tunnel vision just on PTSD?

It seems the focus is always on PTSD when many vets suffer from other anxiety disorders and mental health disorders. Why the tunnel vision just on PTSD?

John,

Can you clairfy that statement? I hope you are knocking combat vets who put it all on the line and never receive any respect.

• HadIt.com Elder

Billy

I am not knocking combat vets. After and during Vietnam (my war) there was no PTSD diagnosis. We were diagnosed with anxiety, panic, depression, psychotic disorders etc. If you have some mental health disorder related to service why would that not cause sleep apnea just as well as PTSD? The VA is just focusing on PTSD because they are getting heat from congress. They even moved the non-ptsd patients to their own building away from the other mental health patients at my VAMC. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. The difference in the VA's mind is that you have to have a verifiable stressor. If you are diagnosed with depression in-service you probably have anxiety and all sorts of physical problems as well, but you don't hear about that at all. I got a PTSD diagnosis 35 years after I was diagnosed with a different mental health disorder. It did not matter to me since I was service connected for 35 years already. Also, if you are a cook and get shot by a sniper on guard duty you are just as dead as a grunt on patrol at least you were in Vietnam during TET.

Billy

I am not knocking combat vets. After and during Vietnam (my war) there was no PTSD diagnosis. We were diagnosed with anxiety, panic, depression, psychotic disorders etc. If you have some mental health disorder related to service why would that not cause sleep apnea just as well as PTSD? The VA is just focusing on PTSD because they are getting heat from congress. They even moved the non-ptsd patients to their own building away from the other mental health patients at my VAMC. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. The difference in the VA's mind is that you have to have a verifiable stressor. If you are diagnosed with depression in-service you probably have anxiety and all sorts of physical problems as well, but you don't hear about that at all. I got a PTSD diagnosis 35 years after I was diagnosed with a different mental health disorder. It did not matter to me since I was service connected for 35 years already. Also, if you are a cook and get shot by a sniper on guard duty you are just as dead as a grunt on patrol at least you were in Vietnam during TET.

John

Your preaching to the choir. Nam was my war also. I walked around for 37 years until I went to a Vet center because another vet told me about AO and DM2. When I was there the lady that interviewed told me I was suffering from PTSD and had all the symptoms that went along with it. Recently the nurse practioner at the VA told me that I had PTSD. I didn't bring up the subject, she did.When I told someone that knows me they weren't surprised. I walked around with issues for years, I just thought I was screwed up and different from other people. I never went to the VA because I thought it was for guys that really needed it and couldn't work or had no insurance.

Bill