Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare

Rate this question

DocJay

Question

I am 100% thru the VA and also receive my SSI disability. I now have to decide if I want to take medicare. I will become elegible in April. Will accepting medicare create problems with my VA benefits? I may sound a little gun shy, but I do not want to rock the boat. We all know what it can take to get your 100% and SSI.

Thanks,

Doc Jay

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest VetWife Advocate
I am 100% thru the VA and also receive my SSI disability. I now have to decide if I want to take medicare. I will become elegible in April. Will accepting medicare create problems with my VA benefits? I may sound a little gun shy, but I do not want to rock the boat. We all know what it can take to get your 100% and SSI.

Thanks,

Doc Jay

Doc Jay,

My understanding is that if you are now eligible for Medicare, you have to sign up!! Part A is no cost and Part B is mandatory and is taken from your SSDI monthly check about $87.00?

If you have VA for meds, or Tricare or ChampVA, then the prescription Plan D is not necessary. This is what I understand. Others will jump in here also to let you know their situation.

Good Luck,

Brenda

Guest Namvet6567

I have it and use it to see "real doctors, for real care." I get scripts at the VA, if needed and will do some general labs there but remember "free care" is worth just what you pay for it. Zero. You get SSDI not SSI and you should not confuse the two. SSI is income based and is similar to welfare. SSDI is disability and you've earned and paid for it. Part A is free and part B is not mandatory (unless there's been a recent change) and does cost and is taken out of your SSDI check. I would get it, if I were you. What's your life worth????????

Besides you may not be around a VA Hospital all of the time and may need to go to a doctor or emergency room visit while traveling and medicare will take care of 80% of the bill....Don't worry what the total bill says...the 80% is what medicare pays of the approved bill and and you pay the other 20%. I am 40% and I also have medicare Part A and Part B...If you are getting your meds paid for at VA now, you don't need Plan D....I think that Plan D is a big rip off!

I second what Namvet, Railroader and Pete has said. I have 100% S/C, SSDI with Medicare A/B. I get 'real' medical care at PCP in town. I use VAMC only to get my meds and occasionally some labs. The VA will ask for your Medicare card to make a copy, don't fuss with 'em. They just need the extra paper work. It doesn't mean a thing (NOW)!!

Guest Dataman

Get it.

If your Retired Military it's not a option. You have to have Part B. If you don't Tricare won't cover you. Then you don't pay anything for most Civilian Visits. Last time I was sick I went to Civilian ER (After worthless VA ER Visit). Got got proper treatment instead of pushed out the door with nothing.

I had phenomia. VA gave me tube to help with Asmatha Drugs delivery. Even that was sent by mail 10 days later.

The VA Hopsital ER is the place you go to DIE in Spokane.

If your TDIU or 100% you cannot afford to not have Part B. Give Part D the finger. That is a CF