VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Px (aafes) And Commissary Privileges

Beware of PX (AAFES) privileges' a lawsuit saying that AAFES added interest on closed DPP accounts up to and beyond 10 years. AAFES then collected any collection through federal offsets of Active duty, Retired military and Disabled Veterans Income Taxes. As far as I know the lawsuit is still pending. I was contacted by the courts saying I was a member of a class action lawsuit and I would be notified once a decision is made. I thought that a company could hold an account open for seven years and after-wards close the account. I also thought that after seven years that all debt that was seven years or more would be removed from your credit report, not so with AAFES. So if congress passes the law that Commissary and PX (AAFES) privileges' should be awarded to any Service Connected Veteran, please beware of AAFES tactics.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/aafes.html

Edited by pacmanx1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The commissary is ok but the department store sucks I can get better prices almost anywhere else.

I agree,, the only value the PX has to me is for odd ball military souvineers that they sell in clothing sales.

The biggest benefit is access to MWR. Depending on the base and how close you are there are some great recreation facilities. Plus the trips and other activities.

I don't get how this would give every disabled vet access, but good luck.

airborne,

Congress is debating to approve full PX and Commissary privileges to all disabled service connected veterans, as of current this is only possible if they have a MWR ID card allowing them access to the PX and Commissary. I am not sure if they (Congress) would go as far as issuing all disabled service connected veterans ID cards but it is very possible. Unless they approve veterans to use their VA ID cards I don't see any other way to give them access. I was on post the other day and I had to get gas, I was asked by the gas clerk to show my ID card. On some bases you must have a valid military ID card to purchase anything. I live in a military town and I can use my military ID card for other discounts like: renting a car, Lowe's, auto zone, restaurants, I even used my ID card to get a huge discount for Microsoft office. The ID card can be used for different things because most people/places don't know the difference or just accept the fact that you do have a military ID card and give you the discount. A veteran with a military (MWR) ID card can get an AAFES credit card (used to be DPP but may be military star now but not sure) and if their account goes delinquent that is where the problem can begin

• HadIt.com Elder

a company can hold a account open indefinitely. They can then pass that account on to any collection agency that wants to purchase it. The 7 year to 10 year time period is strictly up to the various credit reporting agencies. This time period begins from the date of the last payment. Collection agencies that have purchased a credit holders defaulted account can still make collection attempts 20 years after the last payment was made. The only thing that is illegal is if a collection agency adjusts the date of last payment on your credit report when you have not made a payment. That is called "re-aging the debt." If you make a payment to a collection agency years later, however, then the 7 or 10 year time period starts all over again, even if that account had already dropped off of your credit report. Trust me on this stuff as I've dealt with it on both sides of the aisle. If anyone is getting hassled by collection agencies over old (beyond the 7 to 10 year timeframe) check out Budd Hibbs" web site. I got several scumbags off my back with the guidance I picked up there.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use