Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocrehab And Presently Working

Rate this question

diablogun

Question

Hi folks,

I am wondering if one can presently work and still qualify for vocrehab? I work full-time, and for the next few years will be able to do so--albeit while in pain--but want to get school paid for so that I can do a sit down job such as teaching when I am unable to do my present job. Will the VA help me with this? There is no way I can take care of my family on my disability pay (60% soon to go to 80 or 90 I hope) even with the extra money they pay while in school. Any suggestions?

By the way, I meet with the VocRehab people on July 30 and am wondering what they will tell me.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It took me seven years to finish a four year degree. I was working and going to school at the same time. I started getting sick so I quit school and just kept working then I had to quit my job because of my health then I went back to school and finished my degree and ended up and getting even worst after I graduated. You can also get pell grants and Voc Rehab at the same time. If you go part time they may only pay you for the time you are taking classes on-line or in class.

They will help you put together an educational plan with about 48 months for completion, given you haven't used any of your GI Bill. You can definitely choose to go part time....starting from scratch that will take awhile to complete...but that's ok ;) You can go to school for a Degree or specific Training/Certification, tech schools.

Some insider points for Voc Rehab....some states pay subsistence allowance while you attend online education...some don't.

The Voc Rehab program pays for tuition, books and then gives subsistence allowance, while GI Bill gives you a set amount of money and everything you need comes from that, you keep the left overs.

What ever you need to support your educational plan...ask for. (Laptop, chair, pens, paper, calculator,) If you don't ask you will not receive...

Hope some of this helps!

You give some great ideas concerning asking for everything that could help with the plan such as pens and a chair and a laptop; I would never have thought of those things. You are to be commended for your advice, thank you :-)

That is great news, I was worrying they would say I have to be homeless and penniless in order to get the help. As the only breadwinner in the family I can't stop working unless things get so bad I can't get out of bed.

Hi Billy,

were you eventually able to finish? I hope your story is a good one, I don't want to have to go on disability in the long run; not being able to work would be horrible.