Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss Rating Increase

Rate this question

greyfoxx

Question

Last November I had had my C&P exam for my hearing loss it showed profound loss in the left ear and moderate loss in the right ear. At the time they service connected the left ear and not the right, I thought that was strange at the time but later I went to the DAV and they arranged for a hearing, at that hearing I was awarded the right ear service connected. Now the problem is that my hearing in the right ear is bad enough to recieve compensation except the speech discrimination is right on the border according to the C&P. I was sent for another audiology exam in May and it showed that my speech discrimination was worse than originally stated so now I feel that I need an increase in my disability rating. My question is what do I need to do to get an increase are there papers that need to be filed should I go to the DAV. I have an appointment with an outside audiologist Wed I am hoping it will shed some light on where I am. I keep getting mixed signels form the VA audiologist. The last test I had was not for rating purposes. The audiologist did the strangest speech discrimintaion test I have ever had. She kept repeating the words until I finally guessed them therefore my speech discrimination percentage went up I know that wasn't right. What do you all think out there?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

An outside audiologist might be able to prepare an IMO for you-that would be good evidence if their rating is wrong.

I dont know if they would do this and what their fee would be but it could be the best thing to do.

Are you still within the year NOD time frame?

Yes I agree with bertha, get an IMO from a Quilfied private Audiologist, ask them to find the ''Marland Discrimination Word Test'' thats the test the C&P requires.

Have the Dr to to give his professional opinnon of how profound your hearing loss trully is, they may get you hearing aids (if you don't have them?) but in all reality if you have noise induced hearing lost from the military(you say that the VA service connected that) and you don't hunt/Or around any type loud nosie...sinse you been out of the military

IF YOU HAVE TINITUS?

Ask the Private audiologist to write you a letter stateing his/her findings of your hearing loss in both ears! then compare the VA rateings with your IMO. IF THE RATING IS HIGHER THEN THE VETRAN GETS THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

If you have tititus? ask for that also its only 5% for each ear (I think? not sure maybe 10%) but it gets your rating up there.

you should get an increase in your compensation.

what is your rating now?

If you don't have a NOD going then refile for an increase in your rating.

or take your private test from the Audiologist to your VARO. if they don't help you then ask for a hearing with a DRO and a rateing speclist to be at your hearing.

besides if they said it could not be used for ratings then somethings wrong here?

It's not right for them to repeat the words over and over during a hearing test.

IF YOU HAVE TINITUS?

Ask the Private audiologist to write you a letter stateing his/her findings of your hearing loss in both ears! then compare the VA rateings with your IMO. IF THE RATING IS HIGHER THEN THE VETRAN GETS THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

This is not quite how the BOD is applied -

you may want to do some additional research and studying.

If you have tititus? ask for that also its only 5% for each ear (I think? not sure maybe 10%) but it gets your rating up there.

Tinnitus does not pay 5 % per ear. Tinnitus pays 10% period - whether perceived

in one ear or both.

carlie