Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Chris111

Question

Hi i was told i have sleep apnea and the VA is conducting a study in which they will put a modem on the cpat machine if i choose to participate. The only benefit will be getting my cpat machine faster. I feel having a modem can be a bit invasive as they will be checking on me everyday; anyone have any experiences with this?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

No they shouter not try and sucker you into a study by promising something you need.

I was not given a choice about having a Smart Card in my CPAP. It was just given to me and they say I have to bring it in to be read, so they can tell whether or not I need adjustments.

Now I wonder if I have been given a line of BS. :angry: It is not a modem, but it is something they can use to monitor my nightly usage.

But why wouldn't we want to be part of a study that may help future Vets? That being said, using participation as a lure to get a needed device faster is something that needs to be complained about LOUDLY.

Edited by Bonzai

The Smart card can be used to your advantage.

I have an appointment next week with a Sleep lab doctor who will print out the results and make an official statement regarding my condition and response to CPAP (which isn't great).

I had to wait months for this appointment but the sleep lab techs can't make the statement; they will do printouts for you to examine, but to get interpretation and a statement you must see a doctor.

I have periods of non-use from surgery and apartment too hot from recent heat spell, but otherwise I think the info will be useful in my claim.

Edited by Notorious Kelly

My CPAP came with a smart card. I had to turn it in this month to be read. I think they are standard on the CPAP machines now. The machine will work without them. They will return mine by mail. It is surpose to tell them your number of episodes.

I just got back from a meeting with the Sleep Lab Technician, who read my results on the Smart Card. I am also doing terribly on the CPAP machine, in that I tend rip it off after about 1 - 2 hours and I wake-up and stay-up. But when it is on and I am sleeping, my breathing doesn't stop near as much as it does without the CPAP machine. The sleep tech said that I need to see my primary care or psychiatrist to get an increase/change in my sleepy time meds; which are currently 200mg of Trazadone. As far as my ripping off the mask, the sleep tech hypothesized that due to my body being used to have my oxygen supply drop to very dangerous levels, now the level (11) set for the machine may be waking me up because my body is not used to getting oxygen when I sleep. During my sleep study, my O-sat dropped to 61%.

So they want to monitor me for another two months, but I can't start that for three weeks. I had a tympanoplasty (repair a hole in the eardrum) done two weeks ago, and the last of the packing came out last night. I did not want to use the CPAP without the packing in, and I asked ENT about it, and I have been put on a three week CPAP profile... LOL

Sometimes I just can't win... :angry: