Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Ever Heard Of Being Compensated For Impaired Fasting Glucose?

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

It is not Diabetes but just a higher level of glucose (I guess). No medication required. So, has anyone ever heard of someone being awarded this as a disability? Thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete said

"I have always thought that I could pursue it for a diabetes rating but why bother I am already 100%"

Since the 1969 readings Pete -I sure assume your glucose levels have been consistently normal.

I feel anyone who has pre diabetes should monitor themselves faithfully- I wish the VA would send every single veteran a free glucose monitor.

My husbands VA med recs showed what a VA endocrinologist called a "risk" for diabetes.

He received no treatement for diagnosis for diabetes even when these reading became abnormally high. A fingerstick test was ordered but never performed.

As you might recall Pete-my recent DIC award was the VA's

admissions of the true cause of his demise-diabetes-which untreated-and undiagnosed had caused his heart disease and strokes.The diagnosis of diabetes ever appeared once in his medical records.

Diabetes doesnt kill anyone- its complications do.

Every vet with a nexus to their service and who has been diagnosed with diabetes should claim it.

A local I helped with a diabetes claim developed significant heart disease and cataracts from the diabetes during the 10 years his claim was denied as he had not proven nexus.

When he did that and won his claim-his relief was overwhelming because he knew the Diabetes was the main factor that would probably cause his death due to diabetic cardiomyopathy-and his family would have a chance to attain DIC.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta

Amen and Amen...two problems with diabetes are denial and it's insidious nature--runaway high blood sugar is literally killing you, but with the execption of a few symptoms that can be passed off as the cost of aging, you feel fine. Until you don't, but by then a lot of damage has been done.

Chuck

In order to get a diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2, one must have a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) done. This is done by having the patient come in fasting and having blood drawn. They are then given a high-sugar solution to drink, and blood is drawn every hour for the next three hours. If they have a blood glucose level above the norm for two out of three of the readings, then a diagnosis is given for Diabetes Mellitus Type 2. If someone has an HgbA1C that is over 6.5, then a GTT should be ordered.

There are exceptions to the rule, among which is having an extremely high HgbA1C level; that is indicative of how high the processed sugars in your body have been over the past three months.

Berta is completely correct, when she says no one dies of Diabetes Mellitus, they die of the complications. Diabetes Mellitus is a disease that affects all of the body's major systems, to include skeletal. Early detection is key to effective treatment. Diabetes Mellitus is a chronic disease, meaning once you get it, you will have it for the rest of your life. However, even though it can not be cured, the progression of the disease can be slowed considerably with proper exercise and diet.

Sorry, but I worked with patients with Diabetes Mellitus for many years. I am getting off my soapbox now... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bonzai

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder

I was given no less than 5 GTT tests in 1969. The Military Docs were never satisfied with the results. Its almost like torture. One was given to me in the Hospital and I was not allowed to leave the bed during the exam.

Finally it was explained that my results were so extraordinary that they were not credible until they knew I did not do anything but take the exam.

I would load up extremely high the sugar would drop like a rock and than bounce high. The Doc said I would probably be a diabetic and to watch my weight.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.