Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Soc. Sec Has Lost My Files ?

Rate this question

Magoo_Mr.

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I won't go into the cat fight that I have had with SS in detail .. but here are the minor details and I am livid.

.. (1) .. I filed on my own disablities and was denied due to my own disability dates not going back far

enough and I am working to find medical records & etc. to establish a date further back.

.. (2) .. I filed on my deceased wife's SS and was granted a much smaller amount and that was approved months ago and they needed a birth certificate .. which I sent them UPS next day air.

Now, SS is telling me two different things.

......(1) They (SS) can not find my birth certificated and will be closing my claim.

......(2) They (SS) have LOST my records and they say that they will call me back ... but the calls are NEVER returned.

And ... I can NOT get a attny to help me with any claim pending at SS.

My VA claims were a breeeezzzzeee compared to this ordeal with Soc. Sec.

Now ... I am NOT a good record keeper and this makes it even worse .. so I need to find all this paperwork and continue the fight.

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

PS .. Sorry for not being on the board more often and answering emails .. but I am really having some difficult days at the moment.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

PS .. Social Security will NOT give me my records so I can draft an .. Appeal Tailored To Their Denial on "My Disability Claim".

Is there a special "Freeddom Of Information Form" that I can downlooad and send to SS to get my records ??

If so .. where do I find it and does SS have to give me my records ???

Thanks for any advice ...

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

• HadIt.com Elder

I just called SS again .. they are now open until midnight for calls from my area.

The lady at the "800 SS No." read the email that was sent yesterday to my local SS office asking ... "What was going on with the claim".

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

PS ...Can I appeal a SS decision without any ... "Official SS Appeal Forms" ... and do it with just a plain letter ????

Bill glad to hear from you buddy. I am sorry about your mess up with the S.S. I would make an appointment first with the local S.S. office and speak to some one face to face explaining exactly what you have expressed here. I would also make a beeline for the local federal representative or federal senators office and tell them you complete story as stated above. Do you know which stage of denial your case is in? The first 2 an attorney is not usually needed, but by the 3rd. your case must go before an administrative law judge. Sounds to me as if the S.S, system is jacking you around ,hoping you will give up and go away. I hope that only makes you stronger in your fight. That is YOUR money they are holding not some clerk's behind a desk.

Bill I am not an expert on this but I did have to fight them to the court system. I assure you at that point you will need a lawyer as they can drill you pretty good with their occupational expert.

Good luck and if I can be of future assistance don't hesitate to ask. Jim Stokes

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim:

Good to see you too and thanks for the advice.

I plan to submit .. "Some Type Of An Appeal" (even if it is hand written on a paper towel) .. based on my disablities, this next week and then see what happens.

Then later, hire an attorney when the dust clears ... I just need to protect my ""Filing Date" at this point.

Thanks again and hope that all is well with you & your family.

PS ... I guess that I am just tired at the moment and need to recharge my batteries.

Guest Namvet6567

Magoo, don't know that SS has forms for appeal. Just send in a typed or handwritten appeal letter. The booklet tells you the process.

I just called SS again .. they are now open until midnight for calls from my area.

The lady at the "800 SS No." read the email that was sent yesterday to my local SS office asking ... "What was going on with the claim".

PS ...Can I appeal a SS decision without any ... "Official SS Appeal Forms" ... and do it with just a plain letter ????

Edited by Namvet6567

Guest jstacy

Bill, The form used for appeal to SSA is called a request for reconsideration. It is listed on the SSA website under the forms section. After you receive your notice of Denial, 60 percent of all who file do, Then yopu can get an attorney to appeal. I would suggest getting an experienced attorney who can actually help you.

It will take 60 days from the date you file the appeal to get the second decision. Ask for a hearing asap.