Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Ro Asked Me To Apply

Rate this question

Scottyp65

Question

for a job as a QA for appealed cases and such! I was tempted but then thought of the 1+hr drive each way. Don't need the hassle.

Also just met a Marine Vet 68-74 who either put in a claim back in 75 or went for medical attention at the local VA hospital and was told to go away.

He is in my opinion a very good candiate for PTSD, and neumerous other issues. So he is going to bring his files and such over and we are going to see what is what. Will be interesting and fun. He is a home builder/carpenter who is doing work in the house for me. Told him when the claim goes through he may just owe me a big dinner:)

Naw, just want to help him out. He deserves it.

Any of you folkes know about conditions in a place called Da Nang (sorry if I misspelled it). He was there for most of the time in service. aircraft engine machanic.

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest Berta

Danang- yes- USMC- they were beginning to extract Marines from Danang during his period of service-

we discussed this recently here somewhere-

What date was his DEROS?

(Date of estimated return from Overseas Duty)should be on his DD 214 on the right hand side-

Was he with an Aviation Rotary Wing Unit or Helo Unit?

or was that Jet engine mechanic?

Do you know his DIV, Battalion, or Company?

Danang was a big place.

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

I was at "Fort Lost in the Woods" in 1971. Being a Florida boy I almost froze to death. I went from Vietnam and after 30 day leave to Ft Wood in January. I immediately caught some kind of Flu and was in the hospital for two weeks.

Guest Berta

Scotty-if he was incountry Nam and apparently he was-and has any AO presumptive illness-his nexus to service(exposure to AO) is assumed.

But if he claims PTSD that is another matter- he will need stressors that can be confirmed.And a PTSD diagnosis.

What happened to his old claim?

This might help if same time period-but maybe before he went?

TET-1968

"By evening on the 29th, the 1st Marine Division at Da Nang was on a 100-percent alert

January 29th, at Da Nang, the Marines remained tense. One experienced Marine noncommissioned officer, serving in his third war, First Sergeant Jack W. Jaunal of the Headquarters and Service (nicknamed "Heat and Steam") Company, 3d Amphibian Tractor Battalion, located below Marble Mountain, recorded his impressions. He remembered that before midnight "the alert sounded, and it was all hands to the wire [manning defensive positions]." Although Jaunal's sector remained relatively quiet, he recalled that "we could see flashes of other areas being hit" and heard mortars and rockets: "The Marine helicopter strip [Marble Mountain, MAG 16,] two miles to our north got hit... Also Da Nang Airfield got it."

from:http://www.navycorpsmen.com/HTM/VIETNAM/TET68NSAH.htm

My husband was Heat and Steam, 3rd amphbious tracker battalion-65-66

and Danang took a lot of heat through out the war- it was a great target for the VC so there certainly could be many possible ways to locate proof of stressor events-if i the same period he was there.

Does he have any hearing loss or tinnitus?

Those fixed wing Broncos were loud.

OV 10s I believe were observational fixed wings-

Here is a GREAT link to the Bronco Squadrons-OV 10s USMC:

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/usmc-squadrons.cfm

Might vcome in handy if he needs a buddy statement.

Edited by Berta

Well I know a bit more now. The Gent I was speaking of arrived in 1970 and left in 71. He was in the MAG 11, 3rd MAB. I had him start the process with our local county VA rep today and hopefully will be fiing his informal claim next week. Should be a heck of a ride. My hope is to get his hearing and vision taken care of first, and then have him speak with the VA about PTSD. Will keep ya informed.

Thanks for the links,

Scotty