Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depressive Disorder

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I have been reading, but can't seem to find out the answer. does anyone know if you can file for a separate comp claim for Major depressive disorder a (mood disorder) while PTSD, panic attacks with agoraphobia is classified as (Anxiety Disorders) or does the VA say they are the same thing for compensation purposes.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

john999

Yes, know what you mean, they have me down for PTSD, panic attacks with agoraphobia, major depression, a personality disorder with paranoid and narcissistic traits.

john999

Yes, know what you mean, they have me down for PTSD, panic attacks with agoraphobia, major depression, a personality disorder with paranoid and narcissistic traits.

Wanted to know if ...MDD...is different than anxiety...does it have to be diagnosed as an "anxiety disorder" or can they connect the dots...Also, I'm not sure what is claimable and what are supporting details I have MDD....I've had insomnia for several progressive years. And... the panick attacks...are they all really grouped together...does this negatively affect my my rating.

what mental illnesses can you claim...I have MDD , but I know that it's fueled by anxiety/nerves...insomnia. How can I find out which things I can specifically put down....especially for mood disorders. Can I claim Asthma? If so how does that work?

The psych will give you all sorts of different diagnoses, but the VA will lump them under one category, which essentially boils down to "mental illness". MDD is not even in the same category of disorders as "anxiety", but, to the VA, it's all the same. So, no, you cannot file separate claims for each mental affliction....they will just lump them together and assess your overall level of functioning as it pertains to your ability to work.

It's a horrible and prejudice system, but it's all we got for the time being.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was awarded 100% Service Connection on Panic Disorder with Major Depression. I believe that they call the panic disorder and major depression as co morbid and my VA shrink explained to me that it was more common than not for a person to have more than one diagnosable condition.

The answer to your question is that they will lump it up and combine it to one ratable condition.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.