Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depressive Disorder

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I have been reading, but can't seem to find out the answer. does anyone know if you can file for a separate comp claim for Major depressive disorder a (mood disorder) while PTSD, panic attacks with agoraphobia is classified as (Anxiety Disorders) or does the VA say they are the same thing for compensation purposes.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When in doubt throw a chair at the wall during a session. They will kick you out and say you are incurable. Just don't hit anyone or threaten anyone except the wall.

As to the origanal post. You can have SC diagnoses for multiple dissorders that are rated under the scale for rating mental dissorders. There will be only one rating under the scale but all SC dissorders will be considered. The scale is meant as a guideline for rating functional limitations. It is not set up in a way that it would be possible to rate each seperate dissorder at such and such percent. Only the total functional limitation of all mental dissorders can be measured this way.

It's wise to have all mental dissorders SC because at some point if one improves your functional limitations will likely stay at 100% because of your other dissorders.

The scale definately needs a total re-write because it isn't an accurate measurement. But having my dementia due to head injury rated under this scale (or a better version of it) in no way implies to me that I have the same mental dissorder as PTSD, Depresion, or just plain crazy. My SC diagnoses and rating (label) is still for dementia not for anything else. My functional loss is CAUSED by injury but is a mental dissorder because it affects my mood and thought proccesses.

I also beleive it is to our advantage to have one (good) scale especially when it comes to multiple mental dissorders. It is not easy to get to 100% with seperate ratings because of VA math. We all know that 60% and 40% does not equal 100%.

Time

At the very least they need to follow the DSM and seperate the different conditions into their general categories. In other words, PTSD, OCD, panic disorder, GAD are ALL under "anxiety disorders" in the DSM. Bipolar is under "mood disorders" as is MDD. Schizophrenia is another category and you should be under "delerium, dementia, amnestic and other cognitive disorders" (yet another category). At least this way, one would get credit for at least having different forms of mental disorders.