Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Apply For Increase In Rating

Rate this question

Penelope

Question

Hi Folks -- I have just joined the forum, although I have stopped by in the past. I am at a point where I need some independent advice from those that have dealt with VA.

I have been service connected for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since 1990. For the first 4 years, the rating was 30%, then they finally determined a rating code and it has been rated at 60% since 1994. Symptoms of chronic fatique syndrome include, but are not limited to sleep apnea, as well as muscle aches and pains, allergies, etc.

My condition has declined in that I now require a CPAP machine any time I sleep, as well as undergoing allergy shots, and injections for various joint pain. I have pretty much dealt with this, however it is getting to a point that I don't know for how much longer I can cope with it all. I currently work a reduced work schedule of 4 days of week, which has helped, but I don't know how much longer I can continue.

It was such a long drawn out process to get my claim finally appealed that I am hesitant to apply for an increase. Most of my medications VA doesn't carry and I use an outside pharmacy. Work is giving me more and more problems about the reduced schedule and it looks like the job I am working may be eliminated in the future. It is a job I can do and have done it for more than 18 years. My husband is a disabled vet, as well, although not service connected. Therefore it would be difficult to face a decrease in my rating. If I wait until 2010, does that mean my rating can't be reduced below 30% because I had 30% for 4 years and 60% for 16 years, or do I start again at 60%.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Larry -- Thank you for answering. I know I have his military medical records and his DD-214, as well. I will look for them today and let you know if I need to order anything additional. Thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like PTSD many times a injury like a back can be figured out by an event that may or may not have been treated by medical doctors. A good example is falling off a truck or something else that may have been toughed out,

I Doctors Medical Opinion linking such an event can be enough to service connect your husband. Its not easy but can be done.Thios is where a buddy testimony can be of help also.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
Larry -- Thank you for answering. I know I have his military medical records and his DD-214, as well. I will look for them today and let you know if I need to order anything additional. Thanks again.

One other thing.

Get ahold of the VA Regional Office where he filed his original claim and obtain his C-file (claim file). Do this ASAP because we'll not be going anywhere with his claim until we know what disposition was made of his last claim.

1-800-827-1000

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

One other thing.

Get ahold of the VA Regional Office where he filed his original claim and obtain his C-file (claim file). Do this ASAP because we'll not be going anywhere with his claim until we know what disposition was made of his last claim.

1-800-827-1000

In July 2006, I have a letter from the St. Petersburg Regional Office, stating that we had submitted an informal claim. They asked us to complete additional forms, which we never did. I also have papers that the Service Officer sent to us for signature, but they were not submitted. My husband will call St. Pete today and request a copy of his c-file.

I looked over his military medical records this morning. In June, 1979 it says that he had lower back pain and been hurt since last week. Painful Palpitation of L lumbar ?? No xrays done. Gave him a profile for 3 days of no PT and no heavy lifting for 4 days. He got out in 1980, and there was no further mention of back issues. He also had surgery for a knee problem in the Army. In his medical records there are mentions of anxiety issues.

He was in supply in the army and had always done heavy work. After the army he was in shipping and receiving, again with heavy work. I think the next time he had a back issue was about 1984. The routine was that when his back went out they had him on bedrest for a few days and then he would go back to work. That continued off and on for years. This all being said, in about 1982 he was in a motorcycle accident and was thrown down the road. He was later diagnosed with hip problems and had his right hip replaced.

He declined an ETS physical when he got out of the Army. He has so many medical issues now, but I am not sure if we can tie them back to his service.

Any help is appreciated.