Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va's "new" Source Of Funds:

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

For years, we have known that the VA uses Veterans as a source of funding when funds are short. In a nutshell Veterans claims are delayed until next year, the following year, and sometimes 10 or more years later. In many cases, the VA NEVER has to pay back this interest free loan, as the Veteran either dies or gives up on his claim. Even if the Veteran is paid back this loan through the granting of benefits, the VA often manipulates the effective dates, sometimes shredding the only evidence of the Veterans original claim, and even if the Veteran is paid retroactively to the date of his claim, he receives no interest on monies due him even tho inflation has eroded the value of prior years benefits.

Veterans complaints are given "lip service" by politicians who promise to speed up the claims process. However, the reality is that the backlog of Veterans claims has increased almost every year since it began. The newest Secretary has increased the backlog of claims by 15%, while adding a new category of backlogs: education backlogs.

Recent reports show that there are at least 254,000 Veterans/dependents waiting on the Va to process their education claims. In the mean time, student Veterans have little or no means to pay for rent, food, school expenses. Story is here:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/...=7&cxcat=11

The reason the VA does this is simple. When the Va submits its budget, there is no category for "mismanaged or squandered" money. Congress approves the VA budget for approved items, but would not approve things like unauthorized bonuses. Then, when money is squandered or paid in unauthorized bonuses, this budget shortfall has to be made up else where..and guess where? That's right..VA executive salaries and bonues. No? Oh, yes you are right. This squandered money is made up by cuts to Veterans services and/or cuts in disability compensation payments. That means Veterans claims are delayed or denied.

So, the next time you wonder what is taking the VA so long in "processing" your claim, just remember the VA has to make up the squandered money from SOMEWHERE.

Right now, there is at least $342 million that has to be made up, so Veterans can expect even longer processing times:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfsep09/nf091709-4.htm

Have you noticed that the VA budget has been increased, and none of the increase is being passed to Veterans? Guess what..those extra billions will wind up being squandered as Vets wont get a dime:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfsep09/nf091709-3.htm

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Maybe all veterans who have any sort of claim should all group together and march on Washington DC, of course we would more than likely all be shot or shot at just like the WW1 troops that marched on DC demanding their seperation pay and the benefits promised. Lets face it fellow veterans, no one is going to help us except ourselves, I think if somehow we could get the message out how we're treated to those considering enlisting then maybe something may happen, would probably all be charged with treason or something. Makes one wonder why we did what we did and for who other then our buddies and our families.

The person who has nothing for which they are willing to fight,

nothing which is more important than they're own personal safety,

is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free,

unless made and kept so by the exertions of better persons

than himself.

Semper Fi

pigdriver

• HadIt.com Elder

In Dallas the Voc Rehab program is in chaos. I cannot even get them to return a simple phone call and I am now waiting for my 5th Counselor in less than 4 months to finish training. They won't even let you sign at their window to see anyone.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I don't know about GI Bill payments; but Chap 35 payments never arrive prior to the start of school...they aren't suppose to. Under Chap 35 if the student needs their $$$ early there is a separate form they must complete and submit way early; otherwise the first payment comes a month after school starts as they pay retroactively. So for most schools that began this fall, there are no late Chap 35 payments yet.

My son is chapter 35..he has been due "retro" since April, AND he was supposed to get "Advanced Pay" on the first of September. The Va now says he will get it Oct. 1, and I wont beleive that either..until it arrives. Thousands of Veterans due benefits for the Post 911 GI bill are backlogged, and they backlogged Ch. 35 as well.