VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase Claim And Dependent Collge Claim?

Rate this question

ArmyTexas

Question

I put in a claim for a increase for Cervical DDD, Radiculopathy, headaches, and Assthma, increase in Jan 09, Later in June 09 I put in a claim for My daughter turning 18 and going to college. well I went thru the C&P's in Aug 09 andd last one on Sep 1. An IRIS request said that they would all be decided together.

Today I get in the mail the Approved dependent claim dated 10/13/09. I have the DAV as a rep. so I'll try and get in touch with him on Friday, But does anyone know if the VA truly merges them together and decides at the same time?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
It was the one for to continue to pay her as a dependent. It wasn't chapt 35, just to increase the rate for her as a dependent I'm 70% w/3 dependents-1 is now 18 and is full time in college.

There are two forms involved I think. One is a declaration of the status of dependents form and the other is for school age children over the age of 18 and that is entitled Request for Approval of School Age Attendance. You are paid a much higher rate for schoolchildren over age 18 than for kids under age 18. Anyway, I don't really understand too well how these forms work so I suggest you call the V.A. and talk to them about the forms. When you are seeking first time additional compensation for dependents certified copies of the children's birth certificates and any marriage and divorce documents must be attached to the Declaration of the Status of dependents form.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a state job now and they allow very reasonable accomadations to include unlimited missed time for medical, work from home when I want, and flex hours/days. If I didn't have this job I couldn't make it at work. I'm out 2 weeks out of the month. I think they are scared to get rid of me.

Are you absent 2 weeks a month because of your service-connected disability?

Are you absent 2 weeks a month because of your service-connected disability?

Yep, normally 2 weeks a month. At this point I am realizing that this will be my last job I will be able to perform with the flexability the state is giving me. I don't think any other employer would be willing to let me take of the hours/days each month.