Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Question

Rate this question

MissusB

Question

Hey, all. I scanned through a little and didn't see anything that I am looking for.

My husband was stationed at Seneca Army Depot around 1975ish as a Special Weapons Guard. They sprayed Agent Orange as a defoliant around the base.

Does this qualify for the new recognition of Agent Orange related illnesses as service-connected disabilities?

I don't really know where to look. I read the article to my husband from the VA website, and he said that it should qualify, but he can't imagine the Army would admit that they used it.

Anywhere I can look? Or does anyone have information?

Thanks in advance.

:D

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Seneca Army Depot is a Superfund site:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/cs....cfm?id=0202425

Apparently dioxin had been found there.

There are many sites in the US where AO was used.

I am not sure I understand your question.

If you mean you need info the Agent Orange Equity Act- of 2009-in committee - you might find more info under the SVR radio show we did recently-which should be in our archives soon.

http://www.stardustradio.info/

This link will give you the 6-17-09 AO show as well as Congressman Filner's return to SVR on August 19th 2009.

He is due to be back with us hopefully in 2 weeks on the AO Equity Act.

Or do you mean the new presumptives?

Hairly Cell leukemia, Parkinsons , and Ischemic heart disease has been added recently to the AO presumptive list.

If a veteran can prove direct exposure to Agent Orange regardless of where it was sprayed, and the veteran also has disability on the AO presumptive list-they can be awarded AO compensation.

Vets who served in Guam, one in Alaska, one in Okinawa and fairly recently Kurt Priessman (whose shows are in the SVR archives) proved his MOS in Thailand exposed him to AO .He was awarded at the regional level-

which is as extraordinary as his award-due to extensive research he did (such as obtaining the CHECO report) to prove he was exposed to AO in Thailand by virtue of his OS. Kurt was also instrumental in generating (although he takes no credit for it) the rexcent C & P bulletin that covers all Thailand veterans with his same MOS who were possibly exposed to AO in Thailand at the same time he was.

Exposure to AO outside of Vietnam or under the Korea DMZ ergs is very difficult to do but not impossible.

The new AO Equity Act is here under another topic.

Senator Gillibrand of NY has additional legislation to add to this proposed new bill.

I am not sure if I can post the newer info yet-but will check with advocates here in NY who are working on this bill relentlessly.

The prime focus to this bill is to help Blue Water veterans and all veterans who served in the vicinity of Vietnam to have equity in the proper adjudication of their claims-if they also have a AO presumptive disability.

As Sue Belanger or someone says at SVR show- it is 50-50-we have no idea if this bill will pass.It does have 180 sponsors.

Any other veteran who has a disability which is on the AO presumptive list -who can prove AO was used where they served and who can prove they were directly exposed to AO should certainly file a claim and hopefully they can attain AO compensation.

The new presumptives in no way alter the standing regulations as to service in Vietnam (or near DMZ Korea in those regs) as proof of exposure to AO. AO vets outside of this criteria still have to prove exposure.

The AO Equity Act could change that for Blue Waters and any vets who served in vicinity of Vietnam (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Johnston Island, and flew over Vietnam without disembarking on Vietnamese soil.

Photographs of AO canisters at bases, buddy statements,detailed descriptions of MOS,newspaper articles, and any documents such as the CHECO report or other documents obtained under FOIA can help to prove exposure to AO outside of Vietnam.This involves a lot of work and research but nothing is impossible.

Thanks, Berta. Went to the EPA website. Thanks for the link.

Hubs and I had just talked quite a bit about how there were quite a few health problems he has that are a result of exposure to AO, and I just read that article yesterday which led me to believe that he can apply for an increase in his SC disability.

I'm not sure if he can or not, but I like to do my homework before we contact the DAV or go to the VA.

Is the 60% SC his our yours?

Is he employed?

Maybe we can help better if we know what additional health problems he has.

Does he have anything potentially secondary to and caused by the 60% or even the meds for the 60%?

How old is his 60% rating?

He can raise any possibly theory at all besides AO for reason for his additional disabilities.

The 60% is his, and it's been at that rating for several years.

He has heart disease, type 2 diabetes, COPD, among other things.

Heart disease onset mid-80s, COPD onset late-90s, diabetes a few years ago.

Can you tell us what % SC he gets for each of these?

Has he ever applied for TDIU? (Total Disability due to unemployability due to SC conditions)?

Does he get SSDI benefits- and if so- what for?

The SSDI doesn't have anything to do with his SC disabilities. His SSDI is because of nerve damage in his arms.

30% for his heart

20% for his legs (tendonitis)

10% for hearing

He has not applied for TDIU because he heard once that you can't draw 100% for SC disabilities and also 100% for SSDI. He didn't want to screw up his SSDI or the VA Disability that he gets.

Honestly, we don't know alot about TDIU or anything like that. We tried to find out about it when we were in NY, but didn't get alot of help from the DAV rep there.