Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cervical And Low Back Discs

Rate this question

prvet

Question

I have been diagnosed with cervical problems and discs problem. I have neurophaty in arms and legs (40 0/0) due to my diabetes. Cervical and discs problems can be related to this? Thx.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Can I apply for an increase in my neurophaty due to this (Cervical/lumbar discs problem)? I have a recent MRI of the cervicals 2009 and a lumbar CT Scan from 2007.

As jbasser pointed out, problems with cervical or lumbar vertebrae can cause neurological problems known as raduiculopathy. The changes in the verteba compress the nerves and cause problems--usually numbness, tingling, etc.

Neuropathy and radiculopathy are two completely different issues. You'd need a medical opinion, I think.

that said, if you have a worsening of the neuropathy, file for that. I'm not sure if you can be rated for both or if that is pyramiding...

Edited by 12R3G

I have been diagnosed with cervical problems and discs problem. I have neurophaty in arms and legs (40 0/0) due to my diabetes. Cervical and discs problems can be related to this? Thx.

prvet, I have very similar problems with my cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. My condition is not caused by diabetes but by an injury incurred while in service. Attached is a chart that helped me understand my spinal condition. I do not take any medications for the nerve pain I experience but I have been prescribed a couple medications (lyrica and gaba (sp)). I am afraid to take them. From what I've been told if the pain gets severe enough I will put my fears aside. Anyways, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Hang, in there!

www.chiro.cc/health_page.php?page=vsc_chart

OK my 2 cents...

radiculapathy is commonly referred to as a shooting, stabbing or traveling pain that crosses from the base of the spine alone the associated limb.

so, if you are experiencing shooting pain, say down the right leg, then this could certainly be because a disc compression, or injury in the lumbar region which is placing pressure upon the related nerves which branch off from the l3-l5/s1 disks.

think of the spinal cord as a tree that grows INSIDE the vertebral structure

a compression of a disk can place pressure upon the interspinal space, and upon the individual nerves themselves...

while radiculapathy is normally associated with pain or a tactile sensation, neuropathy normally is not.

neuropathy is normally associated with motor control...

lets say for instance that you are missing the ankle jerk reflex... (yep there is one and if it's missing this is considered significant evidence of nerve entrapment or injury), weakness, footdrop (the foot suddenly giving way when you push down, or attempt to pick up your toes etc)

neuropathy can also be caused by disk injury or compression..

a person can have radiculapathy, but not neuropathy or both or vise versa...

these SAME symptoms can also be associated with illness which degrade the nervous system such as diabetes... a very very common side-affect of diabetes is peripheral neuropathy... also a bunch of others

now the upper vertebra, c4-c7 are normally associated with the hands and arms...

the lower vertebra are associated with the legs and feet

now if you have been rated for diabetes, it is very common to file a claim for peripheral neuropathy secondary to diabetes...

so... there ya go.... for further information please consult the web as it is packed with tons of information on this entire subject...

anything specific feel free to ask.

Bob