VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benfit To Learn To Fly....not In A Taxi...

Rate this question

Stretch

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Stretch

Flight training was available with VietNam Era GI Bill as well. Any Part 141 approved school (training uses an FAA approved curriculum) can seek VA approval, so ATP isn't the only choice.

As the fine print says, VA won't pay for Private Pilot rating, or (strangely) initial instructor rating (CFI), but does pay all or part of pretty much everything else.

Edited by 12R3G

Chapter 35 won't pay either Stretch. I considered pursuing private pilot license I was paying for myself but VA wouldn't pay for it-

which I can understand.

Not all colleges and schools are VA Approved for GI Bill and Chapter 35 .Most are- and their web sites can show if they are.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA will not pay for A private pilots license. They start paying when you are in training for a commercial pilots license.

Basically, there are a couple of ways around the problem. One of which is to enroll in a degree granting college that has aeronautical degrees. The major flight schools in the past had a course leading to ATR and multi engine ratings that the VA did pay for. I do know that 9/11 resulted in major changes, since the bigger flight schools had a lot of foreign students.

In the old days you could get a commercial license before an instrument rating. Now, as I understand it, the instrument rating is required to hold a commercial license.

Stretch

Flight training was available with VietNam Era GI Bill as well. Any Part 141 approved school (training uses an FAA approved curriculum) can seek VA approval, so ATP isn't the only choice.

As the fine print says, VA won't pay for Private Pilot rating, or (strangely) initial instructor rating (CFI), but does pay all or part of pretty much everything else.

Right Chuck-

the flight school I was in years ago was affiliated with the college I attended and had a full commercial pilot's curriculum- I am glad you added this info to this post.

You are also quite correct in instrument rating as I understand it.

I needed some electives and though perhaps some flight school credits would help there- but when I moved and decided to finish degree under DEA- AMU had the electives I needed that were far more appropriate to my degree.

PS Chuck -Question

Have friend retiring from Navy and his son went to join Navy-

The son had GED and they said he could not join with GED (he was home schooled) unless he had 15 college credits too.

His dad said he had about 18 college credits and went to college to get copy of his transcript credits-I have not heard result- but did the Navy mean he had to have been formally matriculated into a degree program?

I dont think he was matriculated yet.

Nope most of the services allow a GED, but only under certain circumstances. The Navy accepts a GED, like most other brancehs only during "open" periods. Since the Navy is downsizing, I would guess they have no openings. However, most branches accept 15 college credit hours in lieu of a high school diploma. The recuit gets to join as a "regular" high school diplomad graduate and gets access to all the bonuses, etc. that are sometimes denied GED holders.

The reasoning for this is thus - a GED is a test.. an actual high school diploma shows the willingness, and ability to complete a course of training. Since all the branches are essentially retraining every recruit, they want to maximize success rates among the service training schools. Someone who took and completed 15 semester credit hours in college - well they also have proven they can complete a sustained course of training. A GED while accepted by most universities etc. does not prove that the holder can complete a sustained training program.

Dont ya'll yell at me, this is just their policy... not mine. And to be bluntly honest, they kinda have the numbers to back it up. Soldiers or sailors who hold a GED have "supposedly" been proven to have a lower success rate than traditional diploma holders. Now I never saw these actual numbers, nor did I ever see any new sampling to see if the numbers were current. However all recruiting branches practice a similar system, so I am led to believe it probably is true.

The Army accepts more people with a GED than any other branch. Since the Army is the largest service this would make statistical sense, as well as common sense. I was in both the Air Force and Army so lets not get into a debate as to th3e merits of each service. I am just stating that a person holding a GED credential is more likely to get into the Army... further they are more likely to get something like the carrer path they may desire.

Home schooling is accepted as a traditional degree by the Army, I have no idea about the other branches, but they probably also accept it since there is a proveable commitment to a course of study involved. Seriously this is all about money, and training costs. As a taxpayer I am glad they are worried that their recruits can complete the course they are in for. Personally I have had many many GED soldiers - and I have never once seen one who underperformed my more traditionally diplomad soldiers. In fact, it was my experience they performed better., again my experience.

I know a lot of talking on a simple point but one I felt competent to address. The current Army enlistment policies can be obtained thru the local recruiting station, or online at the goarmy website in their online chat.

Edited by sixthscents

shoot sorry I hijacked the thread Streach... thanks for the post. I always wanted to be a pilot, but never had the eyesight. Oh well, it didnt stop me from doing all the other fun stuff.

Bob