Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personal Visit To Varo

Rate this question

Arch

Question

Well. I went to the Varo today and learned a few things. First person at desk is Highly frustrated in his Job and quite rude.

After overcoming his attitude I got to meet with a counselor in a private room.

First young lady was so confused with the issues that she left for her supervisor.

We (Wife and myself) talked with that person for several minutes and she gave up.

She left the room and got what was called an "appeals counselor" she was also quite confused but impressed at my wife's organization skills. we talked and finaly she saw the problem, computer recognizes the2 NOD's which did not show a request for a de novo review. She copied the letters with return receipts saying I dont understand what happened to the second NOD, however it is with a DRO and being rated at this time/without the de novo signed statement(they have it now)

It appears that no matter how you seperate the NOD's the VARO combines them all under one case number or SSN.

No wonder they are confused, they read the wrong criteria for each one and then deny the both of them together. I would estimate out of 20 employees 5 are productive and are willing to help!! Then the Miracle has to happen to get the correct information to the decision review officer!

When she started talking about a form 9 I started to worry, I do not want to go the BVA route again.

Last lesson was:: none of the people whom I spoke with today was a veteran, the most helpfull was a lady in her 50's the only Grumpy one was a USMC retiree with an attitude who sat at the front desk. B)

Arch Sgt USAF

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You did good going to the VARO and getting it straightened out. My experience of going to VARO has generally been good.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

This is often helpful- if you have someone there to take the time to help you-

In January I wrote to my VAROs Director and listed my issues as the VA was getting them buggered up.

My first de Novo review was ludicrous and they had to re-do it- it was still all messed up- and in violation of

due process and many 38 CFR regs-

I helped to write to them- their response was in error on two claims-

I copied their response , corrected it and sent a cover letter which apparently helped them define the 3 main claims. The additional claims I have will all be rendered moot by the proper awards on the three main ones-

2 main ones I should say-

The OGC has jurisdiction over one claim. VARO- for 3 years said they would handle this claim.

They didnt so I wrote to the IGC and the decision on that will come to me directly from OGC Washington.

I realised last Sept-( my De NOVO was a copy-paste job of a prior decision) that many claimants have to do their work for them or tell them exactly what they should do and why they should do it.

I have made it clear in the 2 main claims they are working on now- exactly what I expect under VA case law and regs which is corroborated by overwhelming medical evidence.

If I ever go to visit my VARO I would be inclined to want to make paper airplanes out of the paychecks of some of them and fly them all right out the window .

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

You did good going to the VARO and getting it straightened out. My experience of going to VARO has generally been good.

ARCH,

Glad to hEAR YOU Feel you did some good!

Were you actually able to talk to p

Edited by jlshand

Guest allanopie

Hello Arch,

Your visit is probably a typical one. My first visit was with a DAV SO, (Vietnam vet) & a real decent VA officer. He listened, viewed the evidence & I received an award later. The SO, was the best. Not many like him around.

But I've had several since like yours.

PS........thank you Mike! You will make a great SO & be good help for the VVA.

"CONGRATULATIONS"!

allan