VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It's Finally Over- The Details

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I quote this one reply from my initial topic...

When you finally get the help you need and deserve it is a relief. You have to figure out what you will do with the rest of your life. The VA is saying you are unemployable and will never be able to work again. This has to sink in for a while. If you are 65 years old it is one thing, but if you are younger it is somewhat final.

I'm only 54 but I have been unable to work (& thereby unemployed) since 2004 so I've known that score for a while.

My IU eed is 1 Aug 2005. My county VSO had me include it in a claim I filed back then. Should be a decent retro. That's why I needed 3 signatures. Some -EXPLETIVE DELETED- (by me) supervisor had my file and wasn't even giving it to any body to sign off on it. Sat on it a couple weeks I think it was. Anyway, a service organization counselor on site at VARO can be an asset. A supervisor, call him "D" with the Texas Veteran Commission had been trying to get that VA -!- to move my file but no-ohh. So D finally goes to the front office and goes over her head. D calls us Wednesday (I think it was, maybe Tuesday) and said he got the go ahead to get the signatures and would hand carry the file through. It's dated Friday and we got it in the mail Saturday.

My wife scared me! I was down in the barn and heard her yelling. On the way to the house (via VA scooter) I she her clutching her chest. Of course it was the papers she was clutching and "We've got it!" and such like is what she was yelling. She saw the VARO envelope (white) but thought it was just more forms or something and hadn't even opened it immediately.

Anyway, here's what she saw on page 1--- "Your Award Amount and Payment Start Date" (never mind the $ numbers). The key detail was "Individual Unemployability Adjustment,..." and that dated back as mentioned above. That's what set her off.

"What We Decided:

Degenerative joint disease, lumbosacral spine- 40%

Degenerative joint disease, Left knee- 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Right knee- 10%

Peripheral Neuropathy, Left lower extremity 10%

Peripheral Neuropathy, Right lower extremity 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Left hip- 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Right hip- 10%

VA 'fuzzy math' puts me at 80% with TDIU now.

"We granted you entitlement to the 100 rate effective Jul 8, 2005 because you are unable to work due to your service connected disability/disabilities."

"Basic eligibility to Dependents' Educational Assistance is established from July 8. 2005." At there's the indication of P&T, ain't it? If that don't do it, this surely does- "We enclosed a VA form 21-8760, 'Additional Information for Veterans with service connected Permanent and Total Disabilities."

The factors in the decision...

"We made a decision on your substantive appeal based on your personal testimony dated March 17, 2009.

Evidence... Y'all know the sort of stuff that goes in here. Treatment records and such like. I'll just record some of the specifically notable items...

"Copies of the Board of Veteran's appeals decisions pertaining to service connection for bilateral knee and lower back conditions resulting from flat feet and ankle conditions..."

"Copies of articles entitled Clinical Assessment of the Human Gait; Ligament Injury, Reconstruction & Osteoarthritis; Osteoarthritis & Cartilage; Hyperpronation: Treating Secondary Conditions; Foot Disorders/Flatfoot; As the Ankle Rolls; Flat Feet Can Cause Significant Problems; Ipsilateral Hip Abductor Weakness After Inversion Ankle Sprain.

One major IMO from an MD and a minor ME from a Foot Doctor.

Reasons For Decision: Of special Note

DJD Lumbosacral spine--- "Based on a review of multiple articles pertaining to the relationship between altered gait,... Photographs of your abnormal shoe wear pattern* as well as a medical opinion by Dr. K---"

* Remember that my Lying C&P examiner baldly lied and stated I had no abnormal shoe wear patterns..."

It is important to note, here, the the articles and appeal claim results. This feature pretty much repeats on each item.

EED I had claimed it a little earlier than the grant but that's because it is awarded as a secondary condition and is dated from establishment of flat feet as service connected.

The IU now, It appears that the sole evidence sited was my IMO.

There you have it. :D

Edited by Jayg

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

jay

I re-read some of your old posts. The line below is from June 22 2008.

"Howdy. I am new to this forum and oy! do I have a lot of questions!"

You hung in a battled and now your questions are answered. Good work and congrats.

• HadIt.com Elder
I quote this one reply from my initial topic...

I'm only 54 but I have been unable to work (& thereby unemployed) since 2004 so I've known that score for a while.

My IU eed is 1 Aug 2005. My county VSO had me include it in a claim I filed back then. Should be a decent retro. That's why I needed 3 signatures. Some -EXPLETIVE DELETED- (by me) supervisor had my file and wasn't even giving it to any body to sign off on it. Sat on it a couple weeks I think it was. Anyway, a service organization counselor on site at VARO can be an asset. A supervisor, call him "D" with the Texas Veteran Commission had been trying to get that VA -!- to move my file but no-ohh. So D finally goes to the front office and goes over her head. D calls us Wednesday (I think it was, maybe Tuesday) and said he got the go ahead to get the signatures and would hand carry the file through. It's dated Friday and we got it in the mail Saturday.

My wife scared me! I was down in the barn and heard her yelling. On the way to the house (via VA scooter) I she her clutching her chest. Of course it was the papers she was clutching and "We've got it!" and such like is what she was yelling. She saw the VARO envelope (white) but thought it was just more forms or something and hadn't even opened it immediately.

Anyway, here's what she saw on page 1--- "Your Award Amount and Payment Start Date" (never mind the $ numbers). The key detail was "Individual Unemployability Adjustment,..." and that dated back as mentioned above. That's what set her off.

"What We Decided:

Degenerative joint disease, lumbosacral spine- 40%

Degenerative joint disease, Left knee- 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Right knee- 10%

Peripheral Neuropathy, Left lower extremity 10%

Peripheral Neuropathy, Right lower extremity 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Left hip- 10%

Degenerative joint disease, Right hip- 10%

VA 'fuzzy math' puts me at 80% with TDIU now.

"We granted you entitlement to the 100 rate effective Jul 8, 2005 because you are unable to work due to your service connected disability/disabilities."

"Basic eligibility to Dependents' Educational Assistance is established from July 8. 2005." At there's the indication of P&T, ain't it? If that don't do it, this surely does- "We enclosed a VA form 21-8760, 'Additional Information for Veterans with service connected Permanent and Total Disabilities."

The factors in the decision...

"We made a decision on your substantive appeal based on your personal testimony dated March 17, 2009.

Evidence... Y'all know the sort of stuff that goes in here. Treatment records and such like. I'll just record some of the specifically notable items...

"Copies of the Board of Veteran's appeals decisions pertaining to service connection for bilateral knee and lower back conditions resulting from flat feet and ankle conditions..."

"Copies of articles entitled Clinical Assessment of the Human Gait; Ligament Injury, Reconstruction & Osteoarthritis; Osteoarthritis & Cartilage; Hyperpronation: Treating Secondary Conditions; Foot Disorders/Flatfoot; As the Ankle Rolls; Flat Feet Can Cause Significant Problems; Ipsilateral Hip Abductor Weakness After Inversion Ankle Sprain.

One major IMO from an MD and a minor ME from a Foot Doctor.

Reasons For Decision: Of special Note

DJD Lumbosacral spine--- "Based on a review of multiple articles pertaining to the relationship between altered gait,... Photographs of your abnormal shoe wear pattern* as well as a medical opinion by Dr. K---"

* Remember that my Lying C&P examiner baldly lied and stated I had no abnormal shoe wear patterns..."

It is important to note, here, the the articles and appeal claim results. This feature pretty much repeats on each item.

EED I had claimed it a little earlier than the grant but that's because it is awarded as a secondary condition and is dated from establishment of flat feet as service connected.

The IU now, It appears that the sole evidence sited was my IMO.

There you have it. :D

Congrats I remember having those exact same feelings in May 2006 when I got the award letter stating that they had determined that I was 100% P&T effective Dec 2003 I just broke down and cried it was finally over but then I read thru and they had denied my cardiac problems again so silly me filed a NOD the day after I got that letter and started a whole new fight which we eventually also won the BVA Judge made that award in April 2009 so for having the patience to keep appealing and fighting them there can be victory down the road, the VA counts on many veterans or their families just giving up out of frustration and to many oblige them. So all I can say is SALUTE on a battle well fought....now just don't spend the men all in one place lol

Edward Jones is a great place to invest some of that retro - I am so happy for you! My 'never give up' claim is still in the works.

Once again - I am so happy for you. I have been following your posts since I came on board in Feb 09.

Edited by akwidow

Edward Jones is a great place to invest some of that retro - I am so happy for you! My 'never give up' claim is still in the works.

Once again - I am so happy for you. I have been following your posts since I came on board in Feb 09.

We got one really great investment- We're going to pay off our mortgage! Then not making that house payment every month will take a load off besides knowing our place is safe. :D

• HadIt.com Elder
We got one really great investment- We're going to pay off our mortgage! Then not making that house payment every month will take a load off besides knowing our place is safe. :D

I will never see enough money to pay off this mortgage if you can do it more power to you, we made a large down payment and then put some into CDs and have saved more in the years I also spread the investments into gold and silver I can put my hands on all of the retro pays we have received it's not much of a safety net but it's all the VA has given us in the past 7 years.....so I haven't wasted any of it

paying off the mortgage is definately not a waste congrats