VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts On Obtaining Service Records..............

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There can be as many as 4 or 5 DIFFERENT locations where you MIGHT find your Service Records and your Service Medical Treatment records.

For example there are not one but TWO different locations in St. Louis, MO, the NARA military personnel records AND the VA records center, two totally different records centers.

Download Standard Form 180 (SF-180), either from the VA.gov website, or from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

You will need to use this form when requesting records, whether from the NARA or the VA or the branch of the military in which you served.

This form SF-180 is a three page form, one page of which you fill out, the other two pages of which YOU READ and FOLLOW the instructions (one page contains nothing but the DIFFERENT locations that you need to send the SF180).

When filling out the SF180, make SURE that you request "ALL records, TO INCLUDE ALL Service Medical Treatment Records, and a reconstruction effort of any portions that appear to be missing."

If you do not make this request, in writing, then the NARA (and probably the other sources, also) will only send to you what THEY think you need (they tell you this in their "fine print" instructions on their website).

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Larry --------good post

Also the SSA might have 'missing' records.

I had personal experience on that.

SSA seems to acquire far more records that the VA does sometimes. The SSA had all the missing records that 2 VAMCs told me never existed.

When a SSA application is made the records stay at the office working on the disability claim for some time-even after the claim is over.

Personnel records for anyone retiring or separating from the USAF after Sept 2004 are sent to Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph AFB, unless you have a continuing obligation or join the reserves/guard. Not sure what the other services do.

• HadIt.com Elder
Personnel records for anyone retiring or separating from the USAF after Sept 2004 are sent to Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph AFB, unless you have a continuing obligation or join the reserves/guard. Not sure what the other services do.

As I said, one page of the SF-180 is used to list ALL the Different Locations where your records Might Be.

This obviously includes the various branches of the military and the dates applicable.

• HadIt.com Elder
There can be as many as 4 or 5 DIFFERENT locations where you MIGHT find your Service Records and your Service Medical Treatment records.

For example there are not one but TWO different locations in St. Louis, MO, the NARA military personnel records AND the VA records center, two totally different records centers.

Download Standard Form 180 (SF-180), either from the VA.gov website, or from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

You will need to use this form when requesting records, whether from the NARA or the VA or the branch of the military in which you served.

This form SF-180 is a three page form, one page of which you fill out, the other two pages of which YOU READ and FOLLOW the instructions (one page contains nothing but the DIFFERENT locations that you need to send the SF180).

When filling out the SF180, make SURE that you request "ALL records, TO INCLUDE ALL Service Medical Treatment Records, and a reconstruction effort of any portions that appear to be missing."

If you do not make this request, in writing, then the NARA (and probably the other sources, also) will only send to you what THEY think you need (they tell you this in their "fine print" instructions on their website).

In this discussion on how obtaining service records, let us not forget that the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri has a separate unit that handles inpatient hospital records of servicemen and that a separate request must be sent to that unit for those inpatient hospital records. I mention this because it appears from my reading online that V.A. often fails to obtain those hospital records, even when they were specifically mentioned on the veteran's application for compensation. I also mention this because of the provisions of 38 USC 5108 which pertains to reopening denied claims based on new and material evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder
In this discussion on how obtaining service records, let us not forget that the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri has a separate unit that handles inpatient hospital records of servicemen and that a separate request must be sent to that unit for those inpatient hospital records. I mention this because it appears from my reading online that V.A. often fails to obtain those hospital records, even when they were specifically mentioned on the veteran's application for compensation. I also mention this because of the provisions of 38 USC 5108 which pertains to reopening denied claims based on new and material evidence.

Where should a person send their request, to obtain these inpatient hospital records? What form should you use to make your request?

if you go to the NPRC's website, it provides all the info you need, but either the SF-180 or a letter with all the data requested in the SF-180 will work--either can be mailed or faxed. Or, you can use the evetrecs online at NPRC, but you will still have to print out and either fax or mail a signature verification sheet.

You just need to specify what records you want (i.e., inpatient records and notes) and be very specific that you are requesting complete copy of the records, NOT an abbreviated file (NRPC initially sends what it thinks you need).

You will need to specify which hospital(s) and approximate dates of hospitalization.

Edited by 12R3G