Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Having A Witness During Exams And Treatments

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Is there a reg or rule that specifically allows vets to have their wife of significant other present in the room when there are C&P exams or other exams concerning health care? A doctor at one of the VA Hospitals tried to tell my friends wife that she could not come in the exam room with her husband and she told him she was going in anyway. They tried telling her she couldn't do that. I can't find the earlier thread, but I was almost certain that this topic had been posted before and someone furnished the regulation that the vet can have a witness to exams and treatments. If anyone knows please post it. Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Is there a reg or rule that specifically allows vets to have their wife of significant other present in the room when there are C&P exams or other exams concerning health care? A doctor at one of the VA Hospitals tried to tell my friends wife that she could not come in the exam room with her husband and she told him she was going in anyway. They tried telling her she couldn't do that. I can't find the earlier thread, but I was almost certain that this topic had been posted before and someone furnished the regulation that the vet can have a witness to exams and treatments. If anyone knows please post it. Thanks.

Rocky,

The VA also tried this on me as well. I contacted the patients advocate office and then the VAMC Medical Director and insisted that my wife be there, because of all the meds I take and my service connected conditions That I did not feel confortable without her being there. I informed them that I miss things the doctors tell me and forget and that she could probally give a better overall picture on how my disabilities not only effect me , but her and the children.

Their first agruement was that the spouse would interfear with the exam. I believe Rocky if you push this issue they will allow you too. One last thing I was also told that they would allow it if only the VET had memory loss or simmuliar issues.

Having my wife there was a blessing, and also a witeness if the C&P examiner in the final report wrote some of the wall dignosis. Also Rocky Audio tape the C&P exam talking about accontability. I went through 2 sets of C&P exams (1st set thrown out due to N.P incompence and she was later fired) the next set of C&P exama I had my wife along with a handheld audio recorded. I find it amazing or SAD that I fineally got justice. The VAMC will push you only as far as you will let them. God bless you.

Bound

It often depends on the doc-

my neighbor went with her son to Buffalo- a long trip from here for a C & P-

good thing she went-

the Hosp could not find his med recs.

They said they knew the med recs had arrived but they searched for hours, while the vet waited and waited.

His mother, walking around the halls got confused and went into a docs office, thinking it was same one they had been in earlier in the day.

She could still hear them talking outside about how those records dsappeared.

She looked at this doctors desk and hollered out in the hall- I found them-

here they were in another doctors office that had nothing to do with the C & P.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife went to everything. If you keep your eyes out at VA you will see lots of spouses accompany their spouses. When I had to have my heart test my wife told them that they would be glad she was there if I acted up

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.