Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumbar C&p

Rate this question

voodoo

Question

First off, thank you for all you guys do here. I have been reading on here for weeks now and found a tremendous amount of knowledge.

I finished my last C&P exam last week (this is my first time applying). I received a copy of my exams today. One claim is for back pain due to a fractured vertebrae from my last (3rd) trip to Iraq. The following are the findings on the report:

Report:

Lumbosacral Spine - Three views demonstrate mild scoliosis to the left. There is mild anterolisthesis of L4 secondary to pars defect probably bilaterally. There is also supected pars defect of L3. There is minimal narrowing of L3-L4 and L4-L5 disc spaces. There is suggestion of mild facet arthritis at L4-L5. No bony lesion is identified.

Impression:

Mild anterolisthesis of L4 secondary to pars defect and also suspicious pars defect involving L3. Mild degenerative disc disease at L3-L4 and probably L4-L5.

Thoracolumbar Range of Motion:

Flexion: 0 to 30 degrees

Extension 0 to 20 degrees

Left Lateral Flexion: 0 to 30 degrees

Left Lateral Rotation: 0 to 30 degrees

Right Lateral Flexion: 0 to 30 degrees

Right Lateral Rotation: 0 to 30 degrees

Although the ROM is reduced, does this represent "normal" for this individual due to other factors not related to the disability being examined? No

From what I've read the ROM alone should be worth 40%. What about the other findings (degenerative disc disease, pars defects, narrowing of disc spaces and arthritis)? Would those get separate ratings or all fall under the 40%?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

All will be included in the 40% for thoracolumbar condition. Did they check for radiculopathy in your legs?? Also, are there any issues with your c-spine? Normally, your c-spine is negatively affected by the DDD in your T/L spine. Since this is your initial claim, you need to file for everything you can think of that might be affected by your service injuries. Good luck and as far as this C&P goes, it does look like your should get 40%. They may try to lowball you, but you have the ROM documented.

• HadIt.com Elder
All will be included in the 40% for thoracolumbar condition. Did they check for radiculopathy in your legs?? Also, are there any issues with your c-spine? Normally, your c-spine is negatively affected by the DDD in your T/L spine. Since this is your initial claim, you need to file for everything you can think of that might be affected by your service injuries. Good luck and as far as this C&P goes, it does look like your should get 40%. They may try to lowball you, but you have the ROM documented.

I agree with mags. I would like to point out that it sounds like you filed your claim shortly after you got out- very good.

It all depends on the raters knowledge/attitude the day she/he reads the files/record. Be hopeful, but realistic. Many times they believe they are "medically educated" to evaluate terms but miss the point entirely. I don't want to appear like I am sending you a "downer message" but realistically, it's a crap shoot each time one puts in a valid claim.

I had months of treatments/medications(pain/muscle relaxants/antidepressants)bed rest, 3 weeks physical therapy treatments, corsetts, radiating pain...documentation inservice/post service/all years validation of continued disability worsening with xrays/MRI's and was denied.

I was shocked, my physicans were shocked, as well as my VSO, and even SSDI was as they granted immediately.

So you never know. I hope you won't have to go the route many of us have traveled, like at BVA now, but one can never know/estimate what the outcome will be. There is always the appeal process to continue with, just in case.