Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Patient Advocate Story

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All,

I wanted to share a Patient Advocate story and let some of you know that the PA is there for the Vet and did come to my aid recently. First to let you know that the VA PCP doctors can get information from the Veterans Benefits Administration. On my last appointment I brought in a new medical notebook, that I carefully put together, which had my Civilian doctors IMO's , test and opinions, treatment records. I also had the Service Medical Records and the VA Progress reports. I asked him why he did not put in the record that he did not want me to have a spa for my Peripheral Neuropathy, even though the Nuerologist and Podiatrist did and made prescriptions for it. I also asked him why my VA Dr. diagnosis , opthamology report on antherosclorsis was not there in the Progress Report. I also asked why a VA doctor wanted me to be checked out by a Rheumatologist for immune system problems but no appointment. Ok so I followed up and got the Progress Reports 3 days laterafter my appointment and it was unbelievable. Somehow he wrote in the notes that I brought in a 3 inch thick booklet of records , tests and that I believed all of my diseases were service related. He went on to add that I had a lawyer in such and such city and had been denied once and that I was going to use all of the evidence in my folder for an appeal. Huhhh!!!. He also added that he did not want me to use the spa even though it plainly says by the other VA doctor to continue with my hydrotherapy. OK , so now I have one doctor says I need it and another one says I don't.The progress note also had left out the VA doctor diagnosis of antherosclorsis. Ok ....so I picked up the phone and called the Patient Advocate in another city ,who also had access to the console notes and progress reports. His first words were . "what do these comments about your attorney and denial and an appeal have anything to do with treating you? I said I that I was glad he noticed that too. He said this is against protocol and that the doctor knew better and was not suppose to write this in the progress reports. He also asked where the report was for the antherosclorosis and I said I have the report. He said to fax it to him and he would have it put into the console reports. He also said he was going to talk to his boss and call me back. In about 4 hours I get a phone call from the patient advocate and he said his boss was also concerned by the doctors notes and said they would send me a form to sign and ask what I wanted to strike from the record concerning his report. I got the report and filled it out and have sent it to them. I will give a followup to him next week to see what the console Progress reports read and to what the Doctor said as they were going to caution him about what he can say in the reports and to tell him that I had called the PA on him. I also asked him if it was proper to let the doctor review the past records and including private doctors and he said absoulutely. He then suggested that I get a new doctor....hahahhah. but I have already fired one about 3 yrs ago to get this one and since it is just a small clinic, that I was running out of doctors.

Has anyone else had this type of treatement from a V A doctor and has anyone used the Patient Advocate like I did. I will say that the people could not have been nicer and were in agreement that the doctor has overstepped his duties and the way he is to treat me.I will give an update to this as it continues. God Bless, Happy New Year. NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello 10th and Chuck,

Yes it pays to try and be nice even when they are not. I never loose my cool or temper at the clinic with them and I am not going to let them use that as an excuse to write into the progress notes that I am loose cannon. I am not going to say it won't happen but so far in about 10 yrs it hasn't. Now with the VA Regional office is a different story and I wrote them a hard as nails "your stupid and an idiot cannot read are incompetent, and I am going to continue to use this type of description of you until someone proves me wrong and so far noone has" letter. It caused more stir than any thing and I got phone calls from Washington and actually met some legitamate caring people so it worked that one time. The patient advocate I used was absolutely perfect, very sincere and I told him so. Sometimes we as veterans don't thank those within the system that really do CARE. He was very good and I hope some of these problems will be fixed. I could not have done it without him either.

I also want to make a correction on my post ....concerning the foot doctor(VA) did put in to the progress notes that I am UNABLE to find gainful employment, not able . He did not have to do that but knows what I am going thru and he is the one that first blew the alarm that there is really something wrong with this veteran. So not all VA doctors are out to screw the Veteran.

Hello 10th, I hope your experience is one better than mine has been but thank God for good Patient Advocates. They can and do make a difference even when the VA is not doing their job correctly or as my Patient Advocate told me ....... I am just doing my job..AMEN to that.

God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

just keep being nice - Loma Linda Bill