Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Tdiu

Rate this question

Harrell

Question

I posted on the "Success Form" and maybe was the wrong one. So now I post here. As of last year VA rated me 80% based om 70% hearing lose, 30%PTSD, 0% wounds. I was told recently that I should apply for the Total Disability based on unemployability. I had never heard of this until then and have since found out more about it. My question is this: I am a 58 year old wounded vet from Viet Nam war. I am also retired as of last year. Would I qualify for this benefit since I draw a retirement check from my old job. If I do qualify what do I need to do. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

There seems to be disagreement about whether someone should go TDIU after retiring, and some rumors that this avenue will come under scrutiny and be closed off.

I hope it is there for me someday! I will retire from the post office in 8 years, 1 month and 1 week if I make it that long. I will be 56 and should be working many more years, but wish I could get TDIU now.

I have 50% hearing loss, 70% PTSD, 10% tinnitus, 10% L knee injury and 10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis for a 90% total. Work is stressful. I cannot live without the postal income, but almost can't live with the post office. The knee compounds the stress - the supervisors, etc. compound the stress!

Your 70% on hearing loss alone should fulfill the requirements for qualification. The other factors should add weight to your claim.

Perhaps you should start by talking with a VSO. My current one has said something from time to time about how I'll draw TDIU after retirement, and related a story to me about helping an elderly vet do the same in the recent past. He's a good guy and I'm lucky to have found him.

When I decided to try a VSO, the first one I talked to jumped down my throat about wanting to have my hearing re-evaluated (it was, and increased from 40 to 50%). He derided me long and loud for getting too much money. I "escaped" and went back into hiding under my covers for days, afraid that he was now on my case and would cut or eliminate my benefits.

I eventually made some anonymous calls and over a few weeks finally dared to approach another VSO This one did what a VSO is supposed to do, and after 27 years, I was finally SC'ed for my other issues in a matter of months.

I'm still a wreck, but my family now gets more money and understands why.

There are many people here who can help you better than the bad or perhaps typical VSO so many of them have encountered, and I hope they help you. I certainly appreciate them.

Gary

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary

I was a postal worker as well. With your disabilites you may never make it 8 more years, so if you have to retire early go out on Disability Retirement. This will help you get TDIU. I had 11 years to go and I had to go out on disability. It was quite stressful. I would start saving my nickles and dimes for a emergency fund and save your sick leave. Can you get Long Term disability insurance?

John 999, please tell me anything about long term disability insurance, including where to look online.

I'm not familiar with the concept.

I have about 1450 hours of postal sick leave saved up. I've always been scared to death to use it. I caught a lot of crap for calling in sick once following being rear-ended at a stop light over 12 years ago. Went to the emergency room and had a lot of PT. Some of the heat was because I had the audacity to be an accident victim on a Friday!!!! Gee, like if that didn't show I was clearly faking....

My major SL use was 4 weeks and 4 days (192 hours) following an emergency appendectomy 10 years or so ago. I tried to come back as soon as I could get my HMO's okay. They sent me to a postal Doc who sent me home another week or so!

In reality, there are probably a great number of people who would have already gotten TDIU in my situation - and to be honest, many who would bite the bullet and work - but I tend to hide under the covers and do what I'm supposed to as long as I can make myself go through the motions. I'm not good at initiating and even worse at standing up to the person who "shames me for wanting something for nothing".

My wife and I were as near celebratory as I can remember us being for quite awhile this weekend. Instead of my usual weekend under the covers, I got out to the driveway and brushed some rust preventative over the panel behind the seat of my old truck. One item on a long list of things that usually don't get done or get farmed out to someone else.

I credit the meds. Plus, it was easier because my son was away for the day and didn't have friends over. I'll nearly starve not to have to walk past anyone in my own home. Means my computer use, access to the good TV, etc. is limited..

The supervisors have finally figured out (and acted, no doubt because of the documented reality of my condition) that I work the best I might by being put on the same repetitive task every night. I work with a rather disagreeable older woman who is also very hearing impaired. We interact very little, just both go about our tasks. Consensus would probably be that the other workers are happy that they don't get teamed with either of us.

I am thankful for my wife's commitment to marriage, but it aint what it used to be. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be all alone as soon as our last one graduates.

I have wondered if the post office will offer another early out at the right time, like another 3 years when I'll fit the criteria of "over 50 and at least 20 years with USPS" . I wonder if I could file for TDIU under those circumstances?

Sorry to ramble,

Gary