• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Homicidal/crime Ideaology...

Rate this question

OEF n' Home Again

Question

Hello my friends and fellow Vets.

Sorry to bug you with another question,

I was recently diagnosed with Chronic PTSD by a military Dr. (I come off Active Duty in a couple wks)

As we met, he asked me questions about homicidal thoughts and intentions, etc. I did my best to dance around the issue and ultimately I avoided an honest answer. Please hear me and know why I did this and give me advice for what I should do.

It's true. I have a very hot temper and when I am engrossed in anger I just want to go out and commit a crazy crime. Or, if someone really crosses me, I imagine killing them in a variety of ways but I doubt I would ever act on that unless pushed. I am seeking help for the many problems associated with PTSD, but I am avoiding this part because I am afraid of several things:

1- I don't want them to "lock me up" in a VA hospital just because I am feeling this way.

2- I don't want to be kicked out of my reserve unit because I need the money and - I get cheap health insurance thru them (tricare reserve select) and I can't afford to lose that heath insurance for my wife and small kids.

My brothers and sisters, what should I do?

Should I just tell the Dr (Active Duty Doc) all of these things? or should I wait until I go to the VA to do it? I know it would have bad repercussions if I did. I am still on active duty orders for 2 more weeks, and then I am in the reserves.

I just don't know what to do. Are there other health insurance options that would cover the family? I'm afraid that if I got kicked out or such that I would disclose my medical history to a new ins company and they would deny my fam insurance because of my pre-existing conditions...

Or do I just keep a lid on how I feel at times and go on with life?

So confused,

OEF VET

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

THIS IS A RESPONSE I GOT FROM SOMEONE..... WHAT DO YOU THINK HERE ON HADIT?

His response to my same question:

I wouldn't say any of that to them. I have the state DCF involved with my family right now. Just the other day in order for me to keep on "cooperating" with the DCF I had to sign a release form so they can have full access to my MH records, progress notes etc.They are involved because of me being violent at home, work, and being arrested. I am thankful I didn't talk about any suicidal or any violent things/feelings or they would take our son. BUT DCF doesnt know that I was arrested 3 months ago they know of my prior arrests but not this latest one and I am worried about that because I told my counsler that and my phyc and it will be in my notes for sure. If you are sure that no agency will supenoea or ask you to sign a release then talk all you want but if I was you I wouldn't because Even though you are saying it to get help certain agency's will use that against you....Just a word of advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion is that the response may be where you are headed if you don't reach out for help.

This Veteran did things that have caused him these particular problems and if he has gotten help sooner maybe he would not have this advice.

PTSD is a treatable disorder and you can learn how to deal with your symptoms but not by hiding them.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
My opinion is that the response may be where you are headed if you don't reach out for help.

This Veteran did things that have caused him these particular problems and if he has gotten help sooner maybe he would not have this advice.

PTSD is a treatable disorder and you can learn how to deal with your symptoms but not by hiding them.

I agree with Pete. Besides, if you truly think about it, what worst- opening up fully with your doctor or falling off the edge?

• HadIt.com Elder

"They are involved because of me being violent at home, work, and being arrested."

WELL, DUH!

Let me ask YOU a question:

Would you ACTUALLY consider taking THIS person's advice?

Please, tell me NO.

Heck, this schmuck is beating on his wife (and kids, I'm sure).

And, he can't stay out of jail?

Don't ya think it is PAST time for the "DCF" folks to be involved, and, what would be worse, them removing the children from this environment......or, leaving them there?

YOU, YOU need to get your problems taken care of by seeking professional care, NOW, before this schmuck AND you are sharing a cell somewhere!

Besides, what better time to take advantage of the care that will be offered to you................or, having to pay for it somewhere down the road?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I am seeking help for PTSD. I already started the ball rolling. I was just unsure about how far into detail I want it to go. I think I might wait until I am being treated at the VA before I talk about these more serious issues of my PTSD. That way, the doc won't call my commander right then and get my duty changed around, etc.... then gossip spreads and I just dont want to deal with that.

I think it will be better to bring it up when at the VA. It is only a few weeks away.

Thanks again for all the posts. U all are really great.

OEF

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get this documented. While you are still in the military.

How many times, right here on the hadit board have we seen veterans that, if only they had had documentation on their Service Medical Records......if only.

Without documentation.................you are whistling up a dark alley.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph