Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Direct Service Connection?

Rate this question

pelicanbrave

Question

I'm 30% disabled. 20% for left knee surgery for a bipartite patella and lateral release and 10% for hypertension. Was active duty Air Force for four years in which time I had a hernia repair surgery and was diagnosed with fallen arches. No claim was ever made for disability in the Air Force. Three years after discharge from the Air Force I joined the Army and was medically discharged after five years for the health reasons stated above. I have since been diagnosed by the VA with spondylosis and severe carpel tunnel syndrome as I have been having back problems such as numbness, tingling, and muscle spasms in my right arm and shoulder for several years now. Last month I had cervical spine surgery on the economy because of the level of pain I was in. I couldn't drive or ride 90 miles to Charleston SC. I had the surgery because of a herniated disk and a pinched nerve between L-5 and L-6 which made the numbness and tingling in my hand go away but I'm still having pain in my shoulder and under my arm. My question is could my carpel tunnels and spondylosis be caused or connected to my two knee surgeries? My hypertension is now at its highest level ever and have also. Sorry for the long post but I need to know if anyone out there has been in my situation or has knowledge of the possibility of higher rating due to all of my issues. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You should definitely file a claim if the HTN has gotten worse and/or has caused any secondary problems.

The Schedule of Ratings is here at hadit and it contains the criteria for higher ratings.

"My question is could my carpel tunnels and spondylosis be caused or connected to my two knee surgeries?"

If you can obtain a strong independent medical opinion that fully connects the dots back to your SC problems, that would help get SC for the additional problems.

Was the cervical spine disability in any way at all connected somehow to the patella surgery?

Was it aggravated by the SC surgery or disability?

Have you gone over your SMRs carefully to see if there is any nexus there for symptoms of

carpel tunnels and spondylosis?

Berta,

Thank you for replying. What's the best way for me to obtain all medical records from Air Force and Army and VA? I have an appointment today with the surgeon who did my operation last month so I guess I need to ask him alot of questions. He is not a VA surgeon. Should I just ask him if he thinks it could all be tied together and do I need to get something in writing? Thanks again!

Go to the NARA web site and under the Military records section they will take you to the SF 180 form -

You will need to fill out 2 possibly -not sure if I did or not- my husband had 2 periods of service too-

ask for all medical records and all personnel records ,then unless things have changed there-you will need to print out, sign and mail to them a bar coded thing.

MAke copies of everything and get proof of mailing for all- the NARA sire will tell where you should send the SF 180.

However- I got back Navy records from them but they said my husband's USMC records were at the VA (that is where they should have been as he had claim in process that had re-opened.

It took just a few weeks before the Navy SMRs came here but that was before OIF/OEF so they might take mush longer than that.

There is a criteria here under IMO forum for what an independent medical opinion should cover.