Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Too Soon Old, To Late ....

Rate this question

USMCMustanger

Question

After all these years, I was told about applying for C&P in Nov. 2005. Placed on SSDI last year, now I am just beginning to start the C&P process. An MI in 1987 landed me in the VAMC, then also informed of DMII, Hypertension, CAD, among others. In 1993, the VA dr. said I was no longer eligible for ongoing care for DMII and related neuro syptoms. Like a "good little soldier", I said ok, and no longer went to VAMC for care. I re-entered to VA system after being declared disabled by my IMO and then later by SSDI, hoping I might be able to get care and the rather large load of prescriptions. Of course, even though put in Catagory 5, I am paying copays for everything, including office visits and some tests. I did not apply for benefits until Nov. 2005. Service connection for DMII is a certainty, but will I be able to recover the thousands spent during 2005? Just one of several questions I will be needing help form you that have/are going through the process.

Thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

After all these years, I was told about applying for C&P in Nov. 2005. Placed on SSDI last year, now I am just beginning to start the C&P process. An MI in 1987 landed me in the VAMC, then also informed of DMII, Hypertension, CAD, among others. In 1993, the VA dr. said I was no longer eligible for ongoing care for DMII and related neuro syptoms. Like a "good little soldier", I said ok, and no longer went to VAMC for care. I re-entered to VA system after being declared disabled by my IMO and then later by SSDI, hoping I might be able to get care and the rather large load of prescriptions. Of course, even though put in Catagory 5, I am paying copays for everything, including office visits and some tests. I did not apply for benefits until Nov. 2005. Service connection for DMII is a certainty, but will I be able to recover the thousands spent during 2005? Just one of several questions I will be needing help form you that have/are going through the process.

Thanks

Welcome to hadit, I'm sorry that you are just starting the C&P process, sad but true that the info hasn't been given freely. (Thank God for Tbird, and Hadit!!!) Anyway, just a little suggestion...if you haven't already, I'd suggest filing for Individual Unemployability! It is listed as TDIU and rated at 100%.

About recovering anything before 2005, I don't think so....but lots of smart people here will be able to tell you for sure. I just know that the date you file, is the date you get back pay to....after winning your claim.

Good luck, you deserve the very best...you have earned it!!! Thanks for your service!

Hugs,

Gwen

Gwen is absolutely right- I will attach the TDIU form-

On question 18 check off yes and under remarks refer them to a separate page- Tell them that you get SSA disability and what you get it for and list the meds you take and any side affects they give you.

I am assuming you are an In country Vietnam vet and therefore the DMII and any complications from it are presumptively service connected.

The DMII Training letter is at hadit (I think the search engine will bring it up- and I suggest you look it over good to make sure any complications of the DMII -like HBP,CAD, vision problems, foot problems- etc- )anything at all that can be linked to the DMII-that these are all acknoweldged by the VA and rated.

Did you ever apply for VA comp before ?

Do you have any denial on DMII with it listed as NSC in any past VA decision?

If so-due to the Nehmer Order- you might be able to recover a lot retro money- it depends on the date of that old decision and the DMII listed as NSC.

Why did anyone at VA possibly tell you THIS:

"In 1993, the VA dr. said I was no longer eligible for ongoing care for DMII and related neuro syptoms"

I think they have to re-imburse those co pays-

but they will only want to take that back to the date of your present claim.Unless they denied you on the DMII in a past decision.

Edited by Berta

aw shooot I Forgot---

TDIU form attached:

TDIU_form.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure you get service-connected for all the secondary conditions you have from DMII. Don't rely on the VA to find these conditions. You need to have evidence to give them and mention every one at your C&P exam.

Thanks for all the good advice. Yes, in country 69/70. No, never filed anything before. Trying to show restraint talking with the bozos at VA.

Question of the day: It is certain that I have DMII, how do I relate HTN, CAD, HPB, to it? Also diagnosed with PTSD, Hypothyroidism, Hyperlipidemia, RLS, Arteriosclerosis of the extremeties w/intermittent claudication, Cerebellar Ataxia, Dyspnea, hearing loss (minor), tennitis, Neuropathy B/L hands and feet, Sleep Apnea, and a few more. Since some of these can be related to DMII and Thyroid, also HTN and CAD, What should I claim as the primary cause of these secondary complications?

Thanks for the advice on RX side affects, Geeez! what a thought provoker that is.

Thanks again,

Rick

Be sure you get service-connected for all the secondary conditions you have from DMII. Don't rely on the VA to find these conditions. You need to have evidence to give them and mention every one at your C&P exam.

Thanks John, The folks at Kaiser tied some of them together before I got back into the VA system. I got in the MYHEALTHYVet and found some initial diagnosis from the VA 19 years ago, made copies of all, now trying to put the package together.

Thanks again,

Rick