VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus Letter

Rate this question

pog

Question

Hi folks,

I asked my Dr for a nexus letter. He complied. So I thought. He made a note in my chart, that I have forwarded to my VSO.

In the section of my notes under "History of Present Illness" the Dr noted...

"Patient reports that OSA symptoms began while he was in active military service, while serving in the Army. He believes that his symptoms were present, but were at the time attributed to PTSD and depression. I HAVE REVIEWED SEVERAL SERVICE MEDICAL RECORDS THAT ALLUDE TO SLEEPINESS AND UNREFRESHING SLEEP AT THAT TIME."

Then in the assessment portion of my chart he wrote.

"I beleive it is as likely as not the pt had sleep apnea while he was in the Army."

My question is... Is this strong enough to link my Sleep Apnea to service for disability rating?

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie is right- sometimes VA calls up the buddy.

A buddy statement should be notarized-in my opinion- and give the MOS and time frame etc, and same unit as the vet and the buddy should put themselves at the same place and time as an eye witness in their statement and say why they were there (such as if they bunked with you for sleep apnea snoring)(or f they exhibited signs in you of chronic sleepiness due to the apnea while on duty)

The buddy statement is very strong. It has all of that. It has everything but the notary seal. I'm not at all concerned about the buddy statement not checking out. My question is about the raters decision. Can the rater ignore the C and P examiners opinion and a sleep medicine physicians opinion that it is linked to service? (Given that the statement is truthful and verifiable)

• HadIt.com Elder

pog:

You are in a good position but I know that waiting for the VA to do their job can make your nervous.

I recommend that you consider what I used for the long delays.

1st I took all holidays and weekends off from dealing with my claim

2nd I tried to look at my claim and work on it no more than a couple of hours a day

3rd I tried very hard to relax and not take the VA personally. As you can see by reading Haidt the VA pretty much screws everyone.

Good Luck

pog:

You are in a good position but I know that waiting for the VA to do their job can make your nervous.

I recommend that you consider what I used for the long delays.

1st I took all holidays and weekends off from dealing with my claim

2nd I tried to look at my claim and work on it no more than a couple of hours a day

3rd I tried very hard to relax and not take the VA personally. As you can see by reading Haidt the VA pretty much screws everyone.

Good Luck

Hey Pog, The remarks from the C & P exam sound very promising. Now comes the hardest part of the process, "THE WAIT"! Pete is right, you have to try and not let the wait get to you. It's tough when you feel like you have all your ducks in a row and now you have to wait for someone to take the time to read and decide your claim. You just have to come to the realization that the ball is now in someone elses court until you get a decision. It will come, probably when you least expect it. Mine did. I spent alot of time during the wait to read old cases that have been decided over the years. You can really learn alot.

Good luck!!!

Blackbird

Edited by blackbird

Word. I'm not stressing over what the VA will do, I'm not concerned they will "screw" me. I've been treated fairly and with respect every time I've had to deal with them. I can prove my case it just might take more time. I'm cool with that.

What frustrates me is to have my question derailed - I get it. The statements might be verified. But given that they are credible what are the implications of the C and P examiners opinion? - I have yet to get an answer on that.

I think the CandP opinion helps me but I don't know why it did not include a reference to my doctors nexus letter (it was in the list of evidence considered).

Thanks for the words of encouragement Pete and Blackbird.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use