VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

highlander1s

Question

I am getting ready to ask the VA for a sleep study, my wife says I quit breathing and snore really bad... I'm guessing I have SA, I have SC ptsd and want to file a claim for SA if diagnosed. Who would I need to write an IMO letter, an independant Dr.??and what type of Dr. would it have to be? thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

We have spoke of this topic many times and if you look there is another topic about sleep apnea.If you were not diagnosed with sleep apnea on active duty do not waste your time with the va. Sleep apnea is a very hard issue to get service connected unless you can connect it to any of your disabilties already sc. And if you plan on getting an IMO from a VA doctor good luck the majority of doctors at the VA would not even write you a good day note but it does not mean it can't happen. Your best shot is to see a sleep doctor out of the VA and have him write you an IMO connecting it to any of your sc disbilities. I did it and it worked for me. Good luck on your fight. I do not want you to think that I am being rude I'm just being realistic.

I am getting ready to ask the VA for a sleep study, my wife says I quit breathing and snore really bad... I'm guessing I have SA, I have SC ptsd and want to file a claim for SA if diagnosed. Who would I need to write an IMO letter, an independant Dr.??and what type of Dr. would it have to be? thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I disagree with Windy City what you need is to show that you had the symptoms or have a Doc who is willing to advance an opinion that it started in service.

More important is that once you are in VA system they will treat you for sleep apnea which is critical.Untreated SA can really put a hurt on you.

Edited by Pete53

It is possible to connect it secondary to PTSD, I am considering it myself. For me it will be OSA secondary to weight gain. I have documented evidence that I've gained 30-50 pounds since leaving the military due to isolating myself. I don't know if you have the same but with PTSD we tend to isolate and lead a sedentary life style. That is what happened to me, and there are Hadit members who have got the award for weight gain secondary to PTSD. If what I've described above fits your situation, than I would talk to your psych doctor and have them write an IMO that your weight gain is secondary to PTSD. Also, you might have the sleep doctor write an IMO to back up the psych doctor. Again this is what I would do if weight is an issue.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

It took me 3 1/2 years to get it sc secondary to PTSD and that was the only way I got through my sleep doctor in the civilian world. I had sleep apnea while I was on active duty and for not going on sick call for it I had to wait. I turned statements from my wife and friends that were on active duty with me and the VA did not take the statements into consideration. Pete if you look at my statement I said that it can't happen for him to get a note. You have to remeber he is dealing with the VA and majority of VA dr. do not like to write notes.

I disagree with Windy City what you need is to show that you had the symptoms or have a Doc who is willing to advance an opinion that it started in service.

More important is that once you are in VA system they will treat you for sleep apnea which is critical.Untreated SA can really put a hurt on you.

It took me 3 1/2 years to get it sc secondary to PTSD and that was the only way I got through my sleep doctor in the civilian world. I had sleep apnea while I was on active duty and for not going on sick call for it I had to wait. I turned statements from my wife and friends that were on active duty with me and the VA did not take the statements into consideration. Pete if you look at my statement I said that it can't happen for him to get a note. You have to remeber he is dealing with the VA and majority of VA dr. do not like to write notes.

Windy City,

I do agree in part with what you say. I've gotten the cold shoulder when I've asked VA doctors to write a letter for me, but I've also had 1 or 2 who were willing to write a letter. I just think it depends on the particular doctor. I think it's OK to relate your story but don't discourage him from trying.

JMHO,

Bergie

I am not trying to discourge anybody I am just stating the truth, I have been dealing with the system for many years and I now how the VA works. There are doctors that will help you because I have been lucky to have the mental doctor I have he has been very good to me and my family and has helped me with the VA. What I am trying to say is that he haves a better chance to get an IMO from a civilian DR. that a Dr. from the VA. I wish him and everybody from this site the best of luck when dealing with the VA because it is always a battle with the VA.

Windy City,

I do agree in part with what you say. I've gotten the cold shoulder when I've asked VA doctors to write a letter for me, but I've also had 1 or 2 who were willing to write a letter. I just think it depends on the particular doctor. I think it's OK to relate your story but don't discourage him from trying.

JMHO,

Bergie