Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart Frequently Asked Questions

Rate this question

carlie

Question

Purple Heart Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/FAQs/PHFAQ.asp

1. What documentation is needed as proof that I am a Purple Heart recipient?

The Purple Heart certificate or medal alone cannot be used for documentation. Additional documentation supporting your Purple Heart Award must be provided. For example, any one of the following documents will be acceptable:

DD-214 (Discharge)

DD-215 (Discharge Update)

World War II veterans may present the discharge or separation document issued by the War Department

Adjutant General’s Office (WD AGO)

Service records showing the award

Military orders of the award

2. What can I do to obtain military service documents that prove I was awarded a Purple Heart Medal?

The Enrollment Coordinator at the nearest VA medical center can help you find sources of documentation or complete the Standard Form 180 “Request Pertaining to Military Records”. You may also request assistance from a local Veteran Service organization. Or go to the Web and obtain the Standard Form 180 at: http://www.archives.gov/.

3. Why do I still have to give my income information if I have a Purple Heart?

Because the Public Law does not exempt Priority Group 3 veterans from prescription and/or long-term/extended care co-pays and you may be exempt from copays based on your income. It is in your best interest to complete the income test annually.

4. As a Purple Heart recipient, will I still have to make co-payments for my VA health care?

No. The exemption from co-payments includes VA hospital care and outpatient care including medical, surgical and mental health visits.

5. Why am I being billed for prescriptions if I have a Purple Heart?

Exemption from prescription co-payments is not provided for in the Veterans’ Millennium Health Care Act.

6. Since I’m in a higher Priority Group, does this mean better benefits and faster appointments?

The VA is committed to providing timely, quality care to every veteran.

7. Who can I call if I have a question about Purple Heart?

Contact the Enrollment Coordinator at your local VA medical center, or call the VA Health Resource Center at 877-222-VETS.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

SC diseases free drugs

In my experience the PH was all I needed not to have to pay co-pays for SC ( never filled out forms on income) ...... been doing it several years only Co-Pay were non

SC diseases...... with AO type 2... free drugs SC heart disease.... free drugs......

If you have PH and did not pay any co-pays except for SC diseases..... you say the office visits have co-pays one should have paid, if they wee not SC ?

confusion

Great post Carlie-

also here is the legal criteria for receipt of the Purple Heart:

http://www.usmcvta.org/pheart/phcriteria.htm

Great post Carlie-

also here is the legal criteria for receipt of the Purple Heart:

http://www.usmcvta.org/pheart/phcriteria.htm

The SF-180 is the wrong form and is not used to update a discharge (DD-215). The correct form to use when requesting medals issued after issuance of DD-214 and the medals do not appear on the DD-214 is the Form DD-149.

Once corrected you will be issued a DD-215 that will show the updated discharge with the medals.

Don't know why the VA link that Carlie provided calls out to use the SF-180. A vet could look at the SF-180 all day long and never figure out where to put his request for a DD-215.

dd0149JoeBzStar.pdf

Thanks Rocky-I wondered about that too-

When the VA changed my husband's 214 with a new DD 215-(he had sent DOD a DD 149) -they sent a letter that some medals had to be purchased at a PX or BX as they were the Vietnamese Gov awards.He died before he got to see the PUC which they sent with a few more things.

When I went to Lackland to see my daughter graduate from USAF basic we went to the PX and I pulled out the 214 and 215 to prove he earned the medals that were missing that I wanted to buy.

No one even asked me for any proof.

I could have bought the Purple Heart and any other ribbon or medal I wanted.

I was a little stunned by that fact and still am.

Edited by Berta

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Berta, The PX will sell any medal or ribbon to anyone, if you went to the Quatermaster store on base they would require proff of the award

John