Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Using A Cane - Dominant Vs. Non Dominant Hand

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I was issued a cane by the VA back in September. For the first few months, I used it in my left hand (non dominant) because my right knee and foot hurt, too, and I liked having my right hand free.

My Physical Therapist (started seeing last month) told me I was wrong, and instructed me on the correct use of the cane, that I use it in my right hand to diminish the burden on my left foot (which is worst).

When I had my C & P's for my feet & knee back in December and early Feb., both times the evaluators noted that I used the cane in my non-dominant hand.

I'm wondering now if it's pertinent that I add a statement that I am now using the cane in my right hand. I asked my PT to please make a note that she had instructed me to do so.

Does it matter? It sure matters to me, not having my right hand free... :D

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Then, of course, the possibility arises.................you just could BE

a person with serious problems on the other side

yes?

MOF, it could possibly be the main reason that that veteran is 100%?

Surely not. Why, just think, you could use that cane like Fred Astaire and toss it from one hand to the other while tap dancing around the stage in your top hat and tails.

Oh, WhatEver...................

Then, of course, the possibility arises.................you just could BE

a person with serious problems on the other side

yes?

MOF, it could possibly be the main reason that that veteran is 100%?

Surely not. Why, just think, you could use that cane like Fred Astaire and toss it from one hand to the other while tap dancing around the stage in your top hat and tails.

Oh, WhatEver...................

Welllllll,,,,to say the least I am sorry......if you missed my point,,,I am very sorry. Again,,,,Just My HUMBLE opinion. LarryJ ,,,You know someone else aside from Astaire that can dance like that with two good legs? smile,,,,,,,,all of this is heavy enough already......smile and the world smiles with you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welllllll,,,,to say the least I am sorry......if you missed my point,,,I am very sorry. Again,,,,Just My HUMBLE opinion. LarryJ ,,,You know someone else aside from Astaire that can dance like that with two good legs? smile,,,,,,,,all of this is heavy enough already......smile and the world smiles with you.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

You're right, of course. I apologize. I've just been a little "testy" lately. Spent EVERY day last week at the VAMC and, trust me, that'll do it to ya.

Gotta go back tomorrow, on my regular Tuesday/Thursday deal. Got a hearing test in the morning, though, which is something different, haven't had one in YEARS!

:D , there, see, ya got me to smile!

No Sweat MC.......all is well.....nice smile...

• HadIt.com Elder
I was issued a cane by the VA back in September. For the first few months, I used it in my left hand (non dominant) because my right knee and foot hurt, too, and I liked having my right hand free.

My Physical Therapist (started seeing last month) told me I was wrong, and instructed me on the correct use of the cane, that I use it in my right hand to diminish the burden on my left foot (which is worst).

When I had my C & P's for my feet & knee back in December and early Feb., both times the evaluators noted that I used the cane in my non-dominant hand.

I'm wondering now if it's pertinent that I add a statement that I am now using the cane in my right hand. I asked my PT to please make a note that she had instructed me to do so.

Does it matter? It sure matters to me, not having my right hand free... :D

I am a certified nurse aide. I have worked with stroke victims and was told by various nurses that a cane is supposed to be used on the side of the body which is the weakest. You have problems with right knee and right foot pain as well as left foot pain. Normally, if your right knee and right foot hurt then the cane would be in your right hand to help support the weight of your body on that side. In your case, however, you have pain in both feet. Accordingly, I ask which side of your body seems to be the weakest to you? I also advise that you get some advice from your physical therapist on the safest methods to go down stairs.