Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Using A Cane - Dominant Vs. Non Dominant Hand

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I was issued a cane by the VA back in September. For the first few months, I used it in my left hand (non dominant) because my right knee and foot hurt, too, and I liked having my right hand free.

My Physical Therapist (started seeing last month) told me I was wrong, and instructed me on the correct use of the cane, that I use it in my right hand to diminish the burden on my left foot (which is worst).

When I had my C & P's for my feet & knee back in December and early Feb., both times the evaluators noted that I used the cane in my non-dominant hand.

I'm wondering now if it's pertinent that I add a statement that I am now using the cane in my right hand. I asked my PT to please make a note that she had instructed me to do so.

Does it matter? It sure matters to me, not having my right hand free... :D

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When I use a cane I use the opposite my bad foot. It is also easier for me to go up and down steps and other barriers.However, I am a strong believer that use the side that works best. If I had to use a cane all the time I would get one of those crutches that has short hookup to mid arm attachment.

For now the rollator will do as I fear that if I ever got a wheel chair I would end up stuck in it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I have to say that with experimenting with the instructions the Physical Therapist gave me, I think using it in my right hand is better.

Just bums me out, that's all. I was bummed about becoming the old broad with a cane as it was, but now I've also lost my dominant hand for all the things ... well you know. Digging in my purse-thingy, getting money out of my wallet, etc. And I was starting to get a nagging pain in my left shoulder, so I'm afraid I'll wind up with problems in my right shoulder instead, which will also be crummy for the same reasons...

I'm just feeling sorry for myself, and I know it. I'm sorry.

On the bright side, I'm really gonna have some biceps on this right arm!

Hey, does the VA rate you higher if you have to use your cane in your dominant hand? That would be a bright side...

Replying to myself always feels sort of tacky, but here I go anyway.

I talked to my VSO about the importance of using a my cane in my dominant vs. non-dominant hand. He said he thought it could be very important, since having to use it in my dominant hand increases the disabling-ness of my SC disability (I know there's a better way to put that). He told me to write up a 21-4138 stating that I was instructed to use it in my right hand by my PT, and if I can get a copy of the PT's notation in her records to that effect, or a letter from her, to attach it.

I'll be seeing my podiatrist next week, and I'm sure she'll write a letter for me about it. She did tell me to use the cane in my right hand back when she first ordered it for me, so she'll be glad I've changed.