Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Smc Table Is This

Rate this question

vperl

Question

A Buddy of mine got information from DAV, not VA Formal notice, that he was awarded 100% scheduler, and during the total reevaluation his rating were reviewed by C&P.....

he was awarded 100% P&T one single disease and has 150 ( I put the other ratings in the Hadit calculator and the final rating was 83.3%) more percentages for 7 other different reevaluations that are totally separate and different.

loss of creative Organ for SMC and Housebound was granted also...

Question what is the SMC table that he will be awarded ? N, M, L, L1/2

I cannot find the actual wording or which table he will be awarded..... all is very confusing

Edited by vperl

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I am making an assumption here-based on the info you posted---

he will get 100% comp with SMC at the "S" level (Housebound award) and then additional "K " award for

the loss of or loss of use of the creative organ.

If the VA had awarded a higher level- that will be stated in the actual decision.

Then again maybe he could be eligible for a higher SMC level and they messed that up.

SMC at the higher levels is a complex issue. Lots of SMC info here at hadit.

Does he have loss of use of any joint or extremity that is also a service connected disability?

38 USC 1114 SMC through levels "L" to "O" as well as R-1 and R-2 are" payable for combinations of anatomical loss or loss of use of the extremeties at different levels, blindness, and regular aid and attendance."

They are considered "progressive ratings" that can be built on certain "K" awards.

(Source VBM 2009 Edition by NVLSP page 335.)

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta and Hadit Members:

I would like your opinion. I am service connected for flat feet at 30% which was done in 1991. Besides being 66 instead of 47 I have been issued a rollator to assist me in being able to walk. Its not a wheel chair I still move but definitely I have ambulatory issues. I was told by a VA honcho that I probably should look at a higher rating.

I have back and knee problems severe enough to be prescribed pain medication and now the but I also am diabetic and have neuropathy. I do have medical evidence that I had been diagnosed by a Doctor of having hypoglycemia including taking glucose tolerance tests that VA Doc said I had major problems but not bad enough for any therapy.I really did not understand except he said on test he gave me my sugar level dropped to fast and when I came back it was way to high.

Does the VA consider loss of use using something like a rollator and or do I have to look at connecting diabetes to service using the medical records that I have including a Doctors report that I had hypoglycemia although an Army Doc sort of ruled it out just said I had a sugar problem but did not need treatment?

Since I am 100% and over 10 years already I really don't want to do anything unless it means more money.

Pete- the back and knee problems could be secondary to the flat feet.

If your 100% is solely for one single SC condition and then the 30 is the flat feet as an independent separate condition- you could certainly try to boost that 30% rating up to the level of SMC "S"award.

Many vets have had their SC flat feet service connected to back, knee and hip problems with medical evidence.

The diabetes would need an inservice nexus.I dont know if hypoglycemic ratings in your SMRs would indicate diabetes.It is possible that a doctor would feel that they did indicate glycemic problems.

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0938575.txt

This is a very unusual case. The vet had DMII service connected and was in a fatal auto accident while driving.His accident was attributed to hypoglycemic episode which was due to his DMII.

The widow was awarded DIC.

Diabetes doesn't kill anyone but it's complications can certainly lead to serious other problems.And hypoglycemic drops in insulin can be a common problem in insulin dependent veterans.

If you can find any medical literature or obtain a medical statement that would prove these hypoglycemic in service readings indicated early on symptoms of diabetes-that would help you to service connect the diabetes.

I think it would depend on other indicators in your SMRs as well.

How long after service were you formally diagnosed with diabetes?

So as you stated the 100% P&T Plus SMC " C " and losss of creative organ.... $97

I found this about SMC L

Aid & Attendance Allowance An additional benefit paid to veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. This allowance is paid in all Compensation, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and Pension Programs. It is paid based on the need of aid and attendance by another person or by specific disability. Special Monthly Compensation (L) can at times be designated an aid & attendance benefit.

Eligibility criteria, see 38 CFR §§3.350 (Special Monthly Compensation), 3.351 (Special monthly Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), death compensation, pension and spouse's compensation ratings), 3.552 (Determining need for aid & attendance, housebound).

See also Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) below.

Rates, see Special Monthly Compensation (SMC), Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) - Surviving Spouse or Parents, Improved Pension - Disability or Death.

I am making an assumption here-based on the info you posted---

he will get 100% comp with SMC at the "S" level (Housebound award) and then additional "K " award for

the loss of or loss of use of the creative organ.

If the VA had awarded a higher level- that will be stated in the actual decision.

Then again maybe he could be eligible for a higher SMC level and they messed that up.

SMC at the higher levels is a complex issue. Lots of SMC info here at hadit.

Does he have loss of use of any joint or extremity that is also a service connected disability?

38 USC 1114 SMC through levels "L" to "O" as well as R-1 and R-2 are" payable for combinations of anatomical loss or loss of use of the extremeties at different levels, blindness, and regular aid and attendance."

They are considered "progressive ratings" that can be built on certain "K" awards.

(Source VBM 2009 Edition by NVLSP page 335.)